Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Can I say we have a small box of miscellaneous parts to be used for various tasks? That way Felix can make something when he needs to without having to take apart an obvious, possibly magical device.

My main idea for Martel is to have the Knight send a message like he normally would, but the message contains a cobbled-together high frequency ping generator that Felix's headset can pick up and follow like a compass.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:59 pm 
That wouldn't be all that hard to build, but it might be a bit obvious, unless you print the circuit directly on the paper, and the ink needed is kind of specialized.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 am 
The Universal Gadget stunt means that, when Felix decides to use the stunt, he will have the gadget he wants (or the means to rapidly build it) at hand, barring some pretty thorough security measures. Either because he built it earlier and just happens to have it in his pocket now, or because he just happens to have access to the various bits and pieces needed to throw it together on the spot. Basically, as long as it's vaguely reasonable that he might have the device, he has the device.

Using the Rendorish Aesthetic improvement (which Felix learnt how to use after a thorough study of Rendorish items back in the Cimmuran marketplace) allows his device to look vaguely Rendorish, at least as long as it's not active, at the cost of taking one of his two improvements. So it's not unreasonable to say that any universal device with the Rendorish Aesthetic improvement would pass unremarked to even a reasonably thorough search for "magical items" on the part of a Rendorish fanatic. (Not that you've been searched).

In other words, a high-frequency ping generator disguised as some minor Rendorish bauble is something that Felix could very easily decide to have in his pocket, using his Universal Gadget stunt. (Not one that's printed-circuit-on-paper, but it's trivial for Sir Perraine to write a message to Vanire that says something along the lines of "Hey, I think you might want to have a look at the attached package. We don't dare let it fall into Martel's hands" and wait for said package to be intercepted and bought directly to Martel's hands)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:14 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Alright. If we can't think of a better plan or a person to contact, I say we go to the marketplace and mingle for a while. Use Felix's Contacting skill to rub elbows, Roger's Rapport skill to make friends, Arkady's Empathy skill to read the crowds and the people we meet and Nathan's Alertness skill to keep an eye out for possible marks or people interested in us for one reason or another.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:41 pm 
I'm pretty sure Talon knows where to go and who to talk to about getting out sample.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Oh right, I think Talen had a contact we could meet?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:55 am 
Talen has a contact, but he's being verrrrrrrry cagey about the details.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:57 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
We still have our disguised crossbows, right? No one stopped us from having them we when we entered the city?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:09 am 
No-one stopped you from having them, no, but only because you weren't carrying them openly. (Presumably they were in bags or something - no-one's tried to search you, the only person who stopped you was Ulesim and he was more interested in throwing weight around than actually being competent in any way).

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:44 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Talen might have to field this one. I don't think we were ever told the name of the Thief King in Cimmura, so our characters wouldn't know who this is.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:51 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The kid named him when he told Arkady why we should trust a smuggler.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:35 am 
Really? I was sure he'd introduced himself...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:52 am 
He was too busy being unpleasantly surprised at the large group of knights and other heavily armed people who had materialised in front of him.

As for the Merchant of Death™, I'd advise against telling him anything. We have money, he has poison. The math is simple, and information does not enter into it. If he insists, I say we tell him something unlikely, a demon or Azash for example. If we need to sweeten the pot, offer him a few vials of the truth serum Nate used on Adus. Someone as smart as he is alleged to be will likely see the benefit of such a substance.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:04 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
We could simply tell him 'nobody' and let him make of it what he will. It has the advantage of being true, and if pushed we could note that a simple assassination isn't worth Platime's time our ours.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:19 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Specifically, I'd go with "Nobody you'd know or care about" and continue on to say that it will simply be used "internally, within the ranks of Terran society".

All true. By the time we go to the Queen we won't have any Darestim left. Just an antidote that is no longer Darestim.

Do I get the social bonus from Theresa if she can't speak the language? If I do then it'd be best for me to come forward and make the associated Rapport rolls.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG