Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:50 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Depending on how we get started and how big the ship we were on is, we could probably recycle and manufacture a whole bunch of things. Honestly if the entire thing crashes into the planet we might end up with an entire TOWN built around it, dedicated to that very thing but on a larger scale.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:43 am 
Hmmm... if it was originally intended to be a colony ship for an empty world, then there's excellent reason to presume that the ship contains everything necessary to set up a self-sustaining technological civilisation, with plenty of redundancy in case of trouble - as long as no sufficiently important bits get stolen, exploded, or eaten by dragons, of course.

...having to jury-rig replacements for the occasional bit that gets eaten by gremlins might be a hazard that must be dealt with.

And, if we have a large number of colonists in cryosleep to safeguard while we try to find a suitable place to build a city on this surprisingly-inhabited world (followed by defending, maintaining, and otherwise looking after the place once it is established) then there's a whole lot of stuff to be done...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:47 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I think a colony ship would be a bit much, as that'd mean we'd have everything we need to maintain the current tech level. I was just thinking like a regular battleship or carrier class warship or something.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:52 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Well, ive been waiting for different rps, so if you think this would be an active one, ig uess id be interested. Im a little unclear if you guys hae decided on everything or are still discussing.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:43 am 
Still discussing. Poking around at... this and that.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:59 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The colony ship can be squared with not having the industrial output of Germany stashed away in a locker waiting to be deployed; just make it an STL drive ship with limited cargo capacity and energy production. The warship idea would tend to reduce industrial supplies even further, but it raises it's own issue; it pretty much defines the milieu as one of widespread shipping and efficient FTL technology, so the goal of the exercise becomes 'stay alive until rescued' rather than founding a colony.

Well, unless we posit a Star Trek like Plotpoint drive. Then space can be rotten with ships one day and completely empty the next; while crossing the galaxy takes centuries or days depending on circumstances. As you might have worked out, the 5 year mission was simply to reach the beginning of the pilot episode from Earth at warp 6...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:36 pm 
Or we could have been stranded by some kind of drive malfunction that, like Riff's DFA, essentially dumped us in a randomly selected alternate universe out of impractically many options; on top of which our mini-black-holes have evaporated, our photons have disentangled, our technobabble has unbabbled, and in short any sort of faster-than-light communication is out of commission. Though that really just puts us in the same position as a really poorly equipped STL colony ship, except with more and bigger guns...

Post Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:02 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Poke. What's doing?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:11 am 
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I've been thinking about characters. Specifically, I've been thinking that in a science-world-exploring-magic-world type game, it might be fun to play a stage magician - someone without so much as a hint of actual magic who can nonetheless pull off illusions and sleight-of-hand tricks that pass as magic to a non-magical audience. Top hat, cape, and the ability to shuffle a deck of cards and still deal you exactly the cards he intends you to have. That sort of thing.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:34 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
At the risk of asking a silly question, who is going to be GMing this? CCC and I would be the usual suspects, but any of us could do it if it came to that.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:39 am 
...that sounds like an excellent question. I'd been thinking about this under the assumption that someone else would... and I still really like the idea of playing a stage wizard in this sort of scenario... but considering it from the other side... hmmm... I could throw together a plotline, a few characters, a pretty open magical world...

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:47 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'm a terrible GM. I get too distracted to actually come up with good, long term scenarios. If I'm going to run anything it'd probably be on the FATE system.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:31 am 
I work best with FATE in an improv setting lasting a single session, with little to no prior thought towards a longer campaign.

Besides, I've already tried this before and it didn't work out.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:16 am 
If I were to run it, I'd probably use FATE as well. FATE's a good system, and doesn't get in the way of a good story.

You know what, I think I'm going to have a go at running this.

Let's see how it goes.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:07 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Fate is the system I generated Spot with?

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG