Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:56 pm 
Who says humans are the only things that can be stuck in cryo? Besides which, with the advent of cloning individual organs, the need for a parent host is bypassed. At least for the first generation.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:02 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I don't think we have cloning tech? Though I suppose it wouldn't be much of a stretch to have a tank that acts as a simulated womb for growing an animal fetus to term? I just assumed we were going to get everything we needed from growing food in Hydroponics, but if we had a "Birthing Vat" for animal embryos it might not be too much more effort to setup a dome for grazing animals. All the grass would be great for supplying oxygen and you could even filter the incoming and outgoing gases to pull out the methane and use it as a fuel source. It's a perfectly sealed environment, so it wouldn't even be that much harder than building the domes themselves.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:41 pm 
Cloning individual organs is tricky, but you don't need any really specialized equiptment for it. You lay down a collagen blank of the organ you want, and then seed it with a the cells you need in the places you need them, then submerge the whole thing in a nutrient bath for a month or two, and poof, organ. The trick is getting all the right cells in the right patterns, in the right places. The more complicated the organ, the tougher it is to make. Currently leading researchers have been using inkjet printers that they've kitbashed into 3D printers because they can lay down very thin layers of cell culture "ink" very accuately, and can handle several different types of cells at the same time, using the different color print heads.

The point is, you don't have to fuss around with artificial wombs, you can make one and supply it with nutrient rich blood, and implant the eggs in there, at least for the first generation. Kind of creepy if you think about it. Problem is, the first batch is not going to be all that healthy. They're going to lack all sorts of things a real mother would provide, like proper hormones at the right time in the right amounts, and antibodies and immunities that are normaly provided by the mother in utero. As such, I would very much recommend artificial insemination or even good old fashioned insemination for subsequent generations.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:09 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I think actual vats would be better as far as growing the fetuses of animals goes. Given our technology level we could probably buy a few local animals that come close to matching whatever it is we're trying to make and harvest their lymph nodes to produce the immunity our animals need to live on the planet. Or we could just build a dome and rig its entrances and exits with strict sterility control options until the breeding population is healthy enough to be introduced in small measures to the outside world.

Though, operating under the assumption that we can just BUY animals from the local farmers, we can just implant the embryos into them and have them birth healthy young as you said with the artificial insemination. It'd likely be slower going and probably not even worth the effort if the animals on this world are sufficiently similar to the ones back home that we need not bother. We can just buy a herd of them to manage ourselves or buy them from the farmers as we need them for food.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:28 pm 
Yeah, kind of a moot point.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:52 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
As a source of trade it's something to look into, though. If our animals are slightly different we could maybe fetch a good price for them as breeding stock. If they're sufficiently different to the point of being a new animal we could sell their meat as a luxury good to nobility. Definitely something to look into, assuming we actually have embryos.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:49 pm 
As a colony ship intending to bring the makings of a planetary biosphere with it, you'd think we'd have something.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:08 pm 
You have a bunch of frozen embryos, together with a biology lab containing artificial wombs that require a high Science skill to operate. There's no form of accelerated growth, so within ten months the cloned creatures are likely to either still be in the artificial womb or, at best, recently born... but given enough years, and enough land, you can certainly raise a herd of sheep if you want. Eventually.

You also have approximately horse-sized motorbikes, specifically made to drag the carts around until horses can be cloned.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:11 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Worm eggs would almost certainly come with any terraforming kit, if they could be preserved. Worms are awesome at making soil fertile. Maybe various species of birds as well? I could see us having a kind of fake egg shell to insert them into with a nutrient solution. That'd probably be REALLY easy compared to cows or whatever.

CCC wrote:
You have a bunch of frozen embryos, together with a biology lab containing artificial wombs that require a high Science skill to operate. There's no form of accelerated growth, so within ten months the cloned creatures are likely to either still be in the artificial womb or, at best, recently born... but given enough years, and enough land, you can certainly raise a herd of sheep if you want. Eventually.

You also have approximately horse-sized motorbikes, specifically made to drag the carts around until horses can be cloned.

Ah, thanks. You ninja'd me there. I'd assume the motorbikes are battery powered, but that's a given just about.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:50 pm 
You have some battery-powered motorbikes, and some that run on biofuel. There's also all the parts needed to create a biofuel refinery packed away in storage somewhere.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Creepy mute albino child is creepy.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:58 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'm getting the sense that I'm about to have a lightning bolt thrown at me or possibly be encased in crystal.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:21 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
If it's half a day of riding to the village, then we've got some spare time to get more stuff done while the Knight trades for food. I'd like to get started on setting up another windmill or three by the time the Knight gets back from the trade, if we can get the chance.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:43 am 
I'll help with that. I have a decent engineering score.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:46 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Once we get at least one more wind generator online I'd like to start work on getting hydroponics up and running. At the very least just going to it and getting some repairs done so getting it started will be easier at a later date. I also want to go over the hull of the ship and do a maintenance check on all the solar panels.

It might also be a good idea to try and find a pump and a large storage tank and run a hose out to the river to fill that tank up. There's so much to get done >.>

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG