Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post subject: Re: Long Way From Home
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:20 pm 
Nate makes pancakes for breakfast. He makes alot of pancakes for breakfast, anticipating many more mouths to feed.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:02 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Elated at the final upturn of events, Felix immediately tries to log in to see if he can and determine if the computer isn't too corrupted to function. He'll poke around for a few minutes to see if there's anything he can do before running to get Doctor Vanderbilt, who almost certainly has an administrative account she can access to make this whole situation go smoother.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:20 pm 
The computer is not too corrupted to function. Felix finds that he has access to vast amounts of data - entire encyclopedias and thousands of helpful videos about setting up on a barren planet.

Alternatively, he can look up the list of people in cryosleep and wake up any of them with the touch of a button.

There's also just about enough power to run *one* non-essential systen.

Dr. Vanderbilt, surprisingly, does not have any sort of administrative access. She does, however, have a preferred order in which to wake people up.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:44 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix is somewhat surprised by the good Doctor's lack of administrative access, but he takes it in stride. He'd like to wake up the Captain, his second in command, and six or seven engineers and scientists to get the ship up and running. He'll follow Doctor Vanderbilt's suggestions, though, if her suggestions differ in any way from his.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:32 pm 
After breakfast is done, Nate hauls the many leftovers up to the mess for the people who will be waking up. He also starts pulling together materials and tools needed for piping water from the river to the ship and storing it. He thinks using a undershot water wheel would probably work best, at least for now.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:54 pm 
"The original schedule," explains Dr. Vanderbilt, "was for medical staff first, doctors, nurses and so on, just in case someone needs medical expertise on waking. Then some general housekeeping staff. The captain's personal assistant. The Captain himself only after that, and honestly, the more after that the better, he's a self-absorbed idiot who got the job mainly through nepotism, his PA's the one who does the actual work. Then everyone else."

"That's clearly impossible. We don't have the food supplies to wake everyone, and the longer we take to start farming, the longer it'll be until we get enough food. And to farm, we need land, I don't think a forest will do. We could try to get the hydroponics up again, but I think it'll be easier to plant our seeds in actual soil. So, my proposed order is first a few more of the medical staff, then the Captain's P.A., then some people who know about farming."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:09 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Well, then. Ain't nepotism such a colorful word? Alright, I suppose we can put him on hold for a little while," Felix replies, annoyed about the possible truth of that statement. This was one of the most expensive endeavors humanity has ever accomplished and they assign an incompetent to the helm? No wonder things went wrong if such a thing were to be true. "I have no objections to your suggestions and it's probably a good idea to have medical staff on hand first when we wake other people up."

Felix clears his throat and continues. "I really think we should get at least three or four engineers as well, though. Right now people who can build and repair stuff are in rather short supply and the ship is several thousand years past its last maintenance check. We also only have enough power to get one non essential system running. Right now that's the medical bay and nothing else," Felix types away, ordering the med bay go to online. "The more sources of power we can get up and running in the shortest time possible the better."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:03 pm 
"Well, If we're going to do this, I think we'd better do it before the chow gets cold."

Nate has a few plates of pancakes on hand, covered with birch syrup and a pat of butter with some roast beast on the side. Canteens and skins filled with water and tea are also on hand.

"And it's getting cold fast."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:08 pm 
"Thank you. I don't think we have enough in terms of steady food supply for more than five more people right now. I'm thinking two medical staff, one Captain's P.A., one engineer, one farmer?"

Post Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:19 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"All things considered I don't think the crew will mind cold cuts leftover from our roast beast and cold pancakes when they wake up. We might be lucky to still have a table and plates when they're done eating."

"Seems like a fair assortment of crew for the resources we have. Very well, I'll go through the list and wake these people up."

Felix goes through the list of individuals on the computer and finds the individuals that fit the needs they'd settled on. Two medical staff, the Captain's P.A., an engineer and a farmer. As soon as he's found them all he'll wake them up.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:37 am 
Waking people up with the help of the computer's automatic systems is significantly easier than trying to so it manually. It's pretty much just point-and-click. So it only takes a couple of hours for the new five people to be woken and get; another doctor, Dr. Medea; a nurse, Rose Chambers; the Captain's P.A., David Ember; a large farmer, Thomas Swale; and an engineer, Timothy Turner.

Their immediate hunger satisfied, they turn to those awake before them to find out what's going on...

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:53 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Alright, guys. There are several important things we need to go over. First is that we're the only people awake. Something went wrong while we were all out and we are several thousand years past the time we should have been awake. We have no stored food, no stored water, our main reactor is offline, everything on the ship is in the process of falling apart, and we're only barely running on our solar power and the windmills we managed to get up and running since the three of us woke up yesterday."

Felix takes a deep breath before continuing.

"Second is that weird things are happening. I cannot stress that enough. Weird. Things. Are. Happening. Learn it, live it, internalize it. You see or hear something you don't expect to happen, don't let it bother you. Look past it and keep working to the best of your ability."

All that out of the way, Felix goes into detail about everything they learned since yesterday. Any disbelief remaining at the end of the briefing is answered with a trip to the airlock to show them he means business.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:03 am 
"This is impossible," declares David Ember. "There are no contingency plans that cover this situation! We're off schedule, and - and we've clearly ended up back on Earth." He glares at Felix. "Who woke you up?"

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:17 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Random chance is my current working theory," Felix replies. "I haven't had time to look into it but I suspect our pods were broken on landing and we somehow survived the awakening. Not something I thought important enough to look into under the threat of everything that is happening. Regardless of whether or not we've arrived back on Earth, this place isn't the same as the home we left. No one can help us but ourselves and the local powers might be more arrayed against us than they are helpful, the good Knights and their Kingdom excluded if we can help them save their Queen. It's up to us to get this ship working again, it's assets deployed, and everyone woken up so we can deal with what this world throws at us."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:39 pm 
David frowns. "Landing," he says. "Which of you landed the ship? And how are you even speaking with the locals? Do they all somehow speak perfect English?"

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG