Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:08 pm 
Captain Argent looks at Felix for a long moment, and then turns towards David. "Is that supposed to happen?" he asks.

"No, Sir. I have thoroughly investigated the computer's logs, Sir, and..."

"And what?" asks the Captain.

"...and somebody told it to wake them up, sir. The same person who entered the coordinates of this landing site. Before so much as a single cryocapsule was released, sir."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:16 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix glances at David.

"Huh. That's... Yeah. That's definitely weird."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:52 pm 
"Like I said, I try not to think about it, or the implications it raises, too much. I find I'm happier that way."

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:56 am 
Captain Argent raises an eyebrow. "Alright, David, I know you've been thinking about this. What is it?"

David hesitates a moment, and then says "Sir, both of them can speak the local language. The... likeliest explanation I can come up with is that they were woken well in advance of when the computer says they were woken, drugged with something that induces some form of amnesia, taught the language, and then returned to their cryopods, set up to make it look like they had just awoken. And then the computer logs were altered."

"Is that really likely?"

"...no, Sir. The second option is that they are lying about what happened to them before they woke anyone else up."

"I'm surprised that's not your first option." Captain Argent nods at Felix and Nate. "No offense, gentlemen."

"The third option, Sir, is that... some technology, unavailable at the start of our voyage, has been invented that allows for the direct editing of the human brain. Either to insert knowledge of a new language or, probably, more. Delete or fabricate entire memories, rewrite personalities... frankly, Sir, it scares me."

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:47 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"My guess is a certain... rather fantastical variation on the third premise," Felix elaborates. "We've encountered one mythological beast since we awoke, the Knights are insisting that dragons are real, and there was a woman with them that was capable of using what I believe is magic. She conjured a hologram of their dying Queen with naught but her fingers while consulting us on medical advice. It could be something sufficiently advanced compared to what we have, but given the level of technology everyone else has I'm unsure if that's the case. My working theory of current ongoing events is Weird Things Are Happening. I'm still working on accepting that in some regards."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:07 am 
"None taken. If it makes you feel better I can take a polygraph or an MRI or something. Come to think of it, an MRI might not be a bad idea anyway."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:03 am 
"Magic," says David firmly, "is a lazy hypothesis generated in the absence of any worthwhile theories. It is more than possible that civilisation progressed to the point of sufficiently advanced technology, and then collapsed, and now has access to a mix of unreplicatable, perhaps malfunctioning technology beyond anything we've ever seen, and primitive tools. Having said that, running the two of you through a thorough set of medical checks is probably a good idea."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:53 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I just want to get the chaos sorted out so we have less to worry about," Felix replies. "Sooner we get ourselves self sufficient and our people up and about the better. I'll agree to a quick medical check up, but as soon as that's done I want to be outside getting construction back underway. Unless the Captain has any objections, that medical facility is going to be our best source of food from trade with the locals until our farms are producing. I'd like to get it finished as soon as reasonably possible."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:30 pm 
"Did we happen to land next to a major population centre?" asks the Captain, mildly.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"We landed in the middle of a wilderness, but there's various farming villages within a day's journey dotted around the area around us that we could service," Felix responds. "It's the perfect clientele for us, starting out. Not enough people to cause us danger, but enough to spread the word over time and ensure a steady stream of customers and trade. Plus they all grow food, which we desperately need. I've queried the locals on medical knowledge and, quite frankly, they have none. Even without medicine, a small team using a setup of the equipment we have on board could work miracles compared to what the local healers can do."

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:41 am 
"We'll set up our first facility at the nearest farming village then," says the Captain with a firm nod. He points at Nate. "You. You can mysteriously speak the language, but none of our medical staff can. Figure out a way for them to communicate with patients. You." He points at Felix. "Sort out construction, power, all that stuff. Including living quarters for at least five. David. Sort out the food situation, long-term. Dr. Vanderbilt, Dr. Medea - one of you stays here, one of you heads out to the facility. You can swap back and forth as necessary, I'll leave that scheduling to you. Rose, you're at the facility to start with, but I want you back here if there's any sort of medical trouble here, or any time we're waking more people up. You -" Thomas Swale, the farmer - "you're a farmer, right? I want you up and running as soon as possible, talk to David about what you need. And you -" he points at Timothy, a very meek and quiet fellow - "what do you do?"

"Engineer, sir."

"Right, you're helping build stuff. You two -" he points at Nathan and Felix again - "you're the only ones who can talk with the knights, try to keep them healthy and happy, and if at all possible helpful. And keep that little girl out from under everyone's feet. Any questions?"

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:05 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"No questions, but beyond the immediate concerns of food we've managed to collect intelligence concerning the current political shenanigans of the world in general and country in particular that we have landed in, if you don't mind?"

Provided the Captain doesn't stop him, Felix will explain everything he's learned thus far about the current happenings of the world. Everything that is of concern to them, in particular. The Queen. The Queen's possible poisoner, the Primate Raven. The Alliance. The War. The various tensions going on. The fact that the various factions might try and use them or annihilate them as necessary to ensure an advantage or denial of advantage as necessary.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:08 pm 
David is the first one to ask a question about Felix's explanation. "Did you say they'd 'just finished' recovering from the last war with this Zemoch place? And that last war was five hundred years ago?"

Piper, by this point, appears to have quietly fallen asleep on the table.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:13 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"That's what the Knight's so claim, yes," Felix replied. "I don't think they have any reason to lie on such matters, though it probably won't hurt to go fishing for more information at the earliest opportunity. The more we know, after all."

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:17 pm 
"Do you have any idea how much damage you need to do to a country to make it take five centuries to recover?" asks David.

Captain Argent waves a hand. "Calm down, Dave, you're going to wake the little girl." He turns to Felix. "You say this capital city is five days' ride away? How long ago did that knight start going there?"

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG