Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:43 am 
The Primate is the highest-ranking churchman in the city. He's outranked by the Prelates and especially by the Arch-Prelate, who heads up the entire Elene Church. The Arch-Prelate lives in a city sited at the point where the borders of several of the Elene kingdoms meet; and, much like Vatican City, it is not actually considered a part of any kingdom, falling under direct control of the Church.

According to Sir Ulath, the current Arch-Prelate is somewhat elderly.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:36 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Somewhat more localized, then.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:35 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Two thoughts, for what they're worth. First, if the ships radio astronomy gear isn't buried, we can figure out exactly where we are in a few seconds by finding a few pulsars. Second, if they survived the trip, there are probably a few high-end military grade CBW detection kits in storage that could isolate the type of toxin which dosed the queen (if not the exact agent) in a minute or so. Useful things to have around when encountering an alien biome.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:09 pm 
If you could get hold of a sample that includes the poison - a sample of the Queen's blood, for example - then you could definitely analyse it and synthesise an antidote. If it's a really complex organic poison, it might take some time for the antidote to synthesise, of course.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:10 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
In addition to the first theory for Piper's identity (that she's the ship's AI given sentience after so many centuries of enduring magical phenomenon in the planet's atmosphere) I now have a second theory. Piper is a Silver Dragon from DnD lore. It fits somewhat. They are kind creatures that enjoy shape shifting into human forms and spending their lives living among humans. Old ones have an innate ability to control wind. And they tend to take the form of old men or young women.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:45 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
As Arkady idly wonders if he's going to see a peasant hut on chicken legs, I find myself suspecting that Piper is sidhe.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:30 am 
Well, probably not in the city. The streets are too narrow for a hut to squeeze into, chicken legs or not. Why, the snake-oil salesman's caravan could barely fit itself in the narrower sections...

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:00 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
He wasn't actually expecting to see Baba Yaga in town, no. Btw, another thought crossed my mind about stellar cartography; all the stars within a few hundred light years of Sol would have their particular spectroscopic signature in the ships' data bank. Using that info shouldn't be too hard for the folks back at the ship.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:52 am 
Once the observatory equipment is unpacked and set up, yes, it can be expected to be reasonably straightforward to calculate not merely where you are, but also how long you were asleep for. Somehow, I don't think Captain Argent sees that as exactly a high priority right now, but it'll happen sooner or later. Probably two or three days after the first astronomer gets unfrozen, I'm guessing.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:00 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
If Nathan wants to question the rogues he can stay behind and do a little covert ops while Arkady and Felix go on ahead to the meeting with the Regent.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:49 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Spend a fate point on Fortune Roulette to bump up Arkady's Empathy roll. Unless I can't use my luck to bump up his rolls. I forget if I can or can't...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:17 am 
You can, but that will only bump it up to +6, equalling the Man in Black's defense. In order for Arkady to get a read off him, Arkady has to beat his defense; which would mean a second Fate point spent on a second Aspect.

Social combat time!

Social combat is a lot like ordinary combat - you have attacks and defenses. You can attack by trying to charm, intimidate, deceive, or argue your point. Your defence depends on your Resolve; higher Resolve means more defense. When you run out of defense, you will start taking consequences, as per usual in a combat situation... if you can give your opponents enough Consequences, you can get a deal with very favourable terms...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:21 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
So in other words time for me to throw the fate points like I've never thrown them before. Also how is our defense going to work? Can we strategically have Nathan, Arkady and Felix taking the social hits in sequence while we attempt to hammer the points home, or are we going to be defending as a group and taking hits as a group with our defense determined by the highest resolve?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:43 am 
All attacks in this combat are considered to hit all opponents. If all of your opponents are Taken Out, then you will get your land with very favourable conditions.

If you take a point of stress where there already is an X, it rolls up to the next spot. If you have to take a point where there is no room, you take a Mild consequence - something that'll take a five-minute break to recover from (you can choose your own consequence). The next consequence is Moderate - taking a few hours to recover from. The third consequence is Severe - we're talking weeks or months. If you take another after that, you are Taken Out and take no further part in the debate; worse, your opponent chooses what that defeat means. When taking any consequence, you may instead offer a concession - in effect, surrendering, but getting to choose for yourself what that means. Your opponent has the option of refusing your concession if it is not to his liking.

I'm not sure how much Fate points will help Felix if he keeps rolling like that...

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:05 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Concessions we might want from them when we deal social damage: Large Land for Farming.

Concessions we might consider giving them when taking social damage: Hunter Trade Hub or We'll Hunt for You. Also for consideration would be Town Sized Land and We'll Farm the Swamps if it's determined that the swampland isn't important to them and they'd be willing to let us have it to use.

If you have any suggestions, let me know and I'll add them to the list. Also, if you see an opportunity for social attack or fate boosting, I'd suggest it be taken. This could be worth a fair portion of the points we have.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG