Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:18 pm 
"Oh, good, there you are," says Sir Bevier. "Thanks, Piper. Listen to this, Roger..."

He presses a playback switch, and a recent conversation picked up by the radio replays.

--------------

"Any luck?" As before, the voices are distorted enough that it's impossible to tell whose voice it is except from the words spoken.

"What's it to you?"

(brief silence)

"Okay, okay, yeah. They're there, all three of them. And they're looking for you."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously. They had this list of poisons they wanted to get."

"Hmph. Pass it here, let me see."

(brief silence)

"...do you notice something about this list, boy?"

"Well, it's on very fine paper, guv. I wouldn't mind getting hold of some more of that myself..."

"Not the paper, lad. The actual contents of the list. Anything odd?"

(longer, more contemplative silence)

"...that one's not a poison?"

"Oh, it is, lad. It's a very rare, very powerful, virtually untraceable Rendorish poison."

"...huh. Then... I don't know."

(the sound of a slap)

"Ouch!"

"Think, boy. Think."

"Ummmm...."

"Except for Darestim, every single thing on this list can be got in about ten minutes in this city if you know the right places to go. Half of them are legal. I mean, you can just walk into an apothecary and buy them straight over the counter. And then there's one, fabulously rare, untraceable, uncureable poison that you can't even get in this country. Does that help?"

"...the rest are just to hide that one, aren't they?"

"Almost certainly." (the sound of paper being folded) "I want to know what they really want Darestim for. If possible, I want to know that before they see me. However, they have piqued my curiousity. I do want to see them. But make them work for it. You know the drill, lad."

"Sure, guv."

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:00 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger furrows his brow. "So someone is trying to obtain a very rare poison? Do you recognize the voices?"

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:18 am 
Sir Bevier shakes his head. "This thing makes everyone sound all crackly," he says. "I can't recognise anyone's voices. I do recognise the name Darestim, though. It's the poison that was used on the Queen."

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:09 pm 
"The Queen was poisoned?! So does that mean these men are responsible?"

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:25 am 
Sir Bevier shakes his head again. "I doubt it," he says. "The Queen's already been poisoned, and now she's... protected. Whoever poisoned her has already got the stuff. These people sound like they don't have it yet."

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:22 am 
"Whoo boy. Should I go grab the Captain?"

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:31 pm 
"Probably a good idea. I'll... try to get this translated..."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:32 am 
"Right. The language barrier. Well I think the Captain would prefer to be in then know then not. I'll go get him." Roger leaves to find the Captain.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:42 am 
Captain Argent can be found outside, where he's supervising the clearing of a bit of forest and the building of another windmill.

'Supervising', apparently, means that he's telling everyone else what a great job they're doing while somehow not ever actually picking up a tool himself.

"Ah, Roger," he says when approached. "Any luck tracking down our computer gremlin?"

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:33 am 
"Not yet. But something has come up. The transmitter that Sir Bevier is listening to has turned up some people attempting to obtain darestim, which Sir Bevier informs me is the poison that was used on the Queen. I thought you should know."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:31 am 
"Hmmm. Could be our chaps, I know Doctor Vanderbilt thinks she can do an antidote if she gets a sample of the stuff."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:19 pm 
"Ah, that hadn't occurred to me. If there' nothing else then, I'll just head back to Sir Bevier to see if we confirm they're our people."

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:07 am 
"I'll join you," says Captain Argent. "I'd rather like to know what these people actually said, as well."

--------------

Sir Bevier has done his honest best with the translation software.

Translated playback wrote:
Voice first: "Fortune locate?"

Voice next: "Your curiousity? (disrespectful)"

(silence the brief)

Voice next: "Agreement, agreement, okay. Present are all three. Seek for you."

Voice next: "Humour void?"

Voice next: "Humour void. Poison of list to get wanted."

Voice next: "My eyes in my hand allow to scan it."

(silence the brief)

Voice next: "List about something notice, young?"

Voice next: "Paper very high quality pres. Myself of that like would much."

Voice next: "Paper not relevant. List contents of on. Anything notice?"

(silence the longer)

Voice next: "Poison not is?"

Voice next: "Poison is, male. Rare is. Power is. Trail not. Rendor origin."

Voice next: "Uncertainty express."

(Face on hand impact sound)

Voice next: "Expression of pain!"

Voice next: "Head employ, young."

Voice next: "Uncertainty extreme."

Voice next: "Darestim not, list all city quickly get locations know. Legal half. Apothecary buy direct. Question none. Single, rare, power, country not. Employ now."

Voice next: "Haystack thistle one that?"

Voice next: "Confidence high." (rustle leaves?) "Darestim reason true know want. Precede meeting hopeful. Curious them of. Meeting eager. Eagerness hide. Protocol known, male."

Voice next: "Agreement, pres"

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:03 pm 
Roger turns to Sir Bevier. "Remind me to discuss the finer points of Elene grammar with you later. But for now, has there been any new developments?"

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:38 pm 
Sir Bevier shakes his head. "No," he says, "it's been very qui-"

The radio crackles to life again.

Quote:
"Sup. Heard someone wanted to see us, so we dropped by."

(a sudden burst of activity, the sounds of weapons being drawn, followed by a fairly long pause)

"Gentlemen. You understand, I'm sure, that there's normally a certain protocol to this sort of thing? A friendly visit does not happen uninvited. It does not happen unexpectedly. And there is a reason for that. Do you gentlemen perhaps know the reason? And if not, then can you guess the reason?"

"Protocol. Of course, our manners are terrible. Sir Guild Master, allow me to present Sir Berit and Sir Ulath. Their acquaintances thought we should meet without everyone in Mama Hargas knowing about it. Some of the things on our list, well, they are needing considerable discretion."

"Mama Harga. Mama Harga." He shakes his head. "Gentlemen. You are idiots. Now, you're going to explain what you think needs discretion, and why."

"Very well. One of the poisons on our list is being used to kill someone the Pandions value very highly. My people have agreed to create an antidote for it, but we need a sample. While we are doing that, we intend to be creating antidotes for everything on the list. We are good at that sort of thing, and expect to need them ourselves eventually."

"Why the discretion? When we found out the name of the poison, two men had their lungs burned out from the inside by a fire demon before we could send it back to Hell. One of them had been indiscreet. Price aside, as a bonus we will provide you with doses of all the antidotes we create if your organization can fill our list without unwanted complications. You may find them useful."

"So, I imagine, we can ignore all the poisons on the list which already have easily available antidotes. Now, you're going to tell us all who, exactly, is being poisoned, and with what."

"Her Majesty is being murdered with the only Rendorish poison on the list. You are a lot closer than Rendor, and hopefully less well supplied with death cultists."

(lengthly pause)

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG