Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:05 am 
"It sounds like a good deal at first glance," says the Captain. "He deliberately makes sure that he costs us nothing, he seeks nothing that will hurt us to part with, and he offers us certain services that we can't otherwise find. Do you see anything that might make you reluctant to trust him?"

"Then I must ask that you take on a large responsibility," says Zalasbra, "for as long as cannot speak your English, my every question is at your mercy."

One of the other colonists comes running up as he speaks. "Captain! The trucks are on their way back, they'll be here any minute!"

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:56 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
"He is magically trained. He can 'see' that we are much older than he is but what that means for his trustworthiness I do not know."

After the man makes his report to the Captain Roger says, "Ah. Excellent I've been looking forward to meeting the others."

"It looks like the burden won't be all mine after all. The others have returned."

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:02 pm 
"Well, I suppose that speaks somewhat for his magical abilities, at least. What else can he see with that sight of his?"

"Ah, the others who speak Elene. There is a point that particularly excites my curiousity, if you don't mind - I believe that, before your arrival out of nowhere, the Elene people had no contact with yours? Where, then, if I might ask, did you learn to speak their language?"

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:21 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
One of the others gets out of the cab of a truck and walks up. "Hello Captain. The shopping trip was successful, dried meat and parched grain for everyone. But first, how did you react when Piper disappeared just after we left?"

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:35 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix hops out of the back of the truck where he was sitting next to the turret and makes his way to the Captain alongside Arkady.

"For certain definitions of the term 'shopping' anyway," he adds. "The Knights gave us this food after we finished helping them with matters most grave, and I think we'll be able to request more from them down the line if we need to. Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to do preparing for the next leg of our trip."

With that, unless the Captain or someone else stops him for conversation, Felix heads off to get David and anyone else that will help unload and store the new provisions. Once that's done he'll begin preparing for the trip to the Rendorin desert. All the clothes they'll need that are suitable for a desert environment. Extra water containers. He'll also begin work on modified equipment that'll pass as mundane.

Among the things he wants to build are shotguns and rifles disguised to look like crossbows (functional crossbows, even, if he can manage it without the weight throwing the weapon aim off too much), grenades disguised as canteens, and sun blocking visors styled after his own that will protect the eyes. He'll also enlist the aid of scientists to help him whip up some explosives disguised as ground wheat, should they need to blow something up on a grand scale. Assuming they have the chemicals they need to do that.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:09 am 
CCC wrote:
"Well, I suppose that speaks somewhat for his magical abilities, at least. What else can he see with that sight of his?"
"I asked him that very question. He felt it was too difficult to explain. He likened it to trying to explain the color red to someone who was blind to it."

CCC wrote:
"Ah, the others who speak Elene. There is a point that particularly excites my curiousity, if you don't mind - I believe that, before your arrival out of nowhere, the Elene people had no contact with yours? Where, then, if I might ask, did you learn to speak their language?"
"Your guess is as good as ours on that point. Myself, along with a few others, simply woke from our great sleeps fluent in your language. We cannot explain it."

Weremensh wrote:
One of the others gets out of the cab of a truck and walks up. "Hello Captain. The shopping trip was successful, dried meat and parched grain for everyone. But first, how did you react when Piper disappeared just after we left?"

Roger raises an eyebrow at the question, but waits for the Captain's response so as not to be rude.

Roger begins introducing himself to the people who come out of the trucks, explaining that he too mysteriously woke up recently. He apologizes in Elene to people who seem perplexed to hear English.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:45 am 
"Disappear?" asks the Captain. "Piper didn't disappear. Not for more than about twenty minutes or so, at least."

--------------

Felix quickly gets help unloading the food - David insists on writing down how much of it there is and immediately assigns one of the recently-woken engineers to get more of the ship's refrigerators online and running. He has little trouble finding suitable desert clothing. the canteen grenades are straightforward, as are the visors (though he needs to make a few minor, cosmetic changes to his own visor to make it fit in). When he gets to the crossbows, he realises that he never saw any ranged weaponry in the Rendorish merchant's tent, only swords and knives - he can certainly make a shotgun disguised as a crossbow that would fit in with the Rendorish aesthetic, but on the off-chance that there are some specific features unique to Rendorish crossbows, it's always possible that the crossbows he's designing will end up looking vaguely foreign to a Rendorish native's eyes. (Foreign, but coordinated with other Rendorish designs).

His 'ground wheat explosive' request gets a reply that, in the right circumstances, ground wheat can be explosive already, followed by the point that any other such explosive will probably be pretty poisonous, and if someone gets into his supplies and tries to make bread, there is no way that would end well. He can get his ground wheat explosive if he wants it, but the scientist in question thinks it a really bad idea to disguise explosives as food.

--------------

"Most fascinating," says Zalasbra. "I know of a spell that can instantly, temporarily, convey mastery of a language, but it would require that the caster have mastery of both the language to be learned and at least one language already spoken by the target..."

He's interrupted by a Piper-shaped missile coming in for a hug and a kiss, before moving on to anyone else who is nearby.

"Ah," he says. "I see you have already met the Child."

The Captain watches their interaction, then asks Roger "Would you have any reason, other than rampant paranoia, to consider Zalasbra any sort of threat or deliberate danger to the colony?"

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:27 am 
Creation of 'Aunt Jemima' flour-based explosive

Target: +5

Science: +3 Roll: -1 Total: +2

Unfortunately, there's something not quite right with the process. After several hours of careful chemistry, you end up with something that looks rather like flour that's gone very badly off and kind of fizzles if provided with a blasting cap.

The scientist on the ship thinks he can probably fix up the process and create the stuff, but it'll take a few weeks - it won't be ready before you go into Rendor, but it will be done sooner or later.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:56 am 
Nate grabs a few blocks of C4, rolls them into rough balls, and then rolls them in dried horse dung, disguising them as dried dung, before stuffing them into a bag and handing it to Felix.

"In the desert, dung is used for more than fertilizer. It's used chiefly as fuel. No-one will look twice at that bag, or it's contents."

He then goes to find Piper. He has a Mission for her, should she choose to accept it.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:38 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady takes in the scene, then shakes his head. "Captain, Piper spent the entire trip with us. it seems she can also be in two places at once, and your new friend just called her 'The Child'..."

He turns towards the local. "Good day to you, sir. I am Arkady Sergeyovich Fedorenko, and I am glad to meet you. Please forgive me for asking, but you seem familiar with that girl you called 'The Child'. Who is she?"

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:58 am 
Nate's explosive dungballs (made with the cooperation of Sir Bevier's horse's manure pile) look pretty much like they're supposed to, and they very certainly smell like it.

Nate has no trouble finding Piper - she's still running around giving everyone she can find hugs and kisses, including, of course, Nate.

--------------

Captain Argent's eyes widen. "You don't think she could be twins, do you?" he asks.

"She has not told you herself?" asks Zalasbra. "I take no offense as to the expression of honest curiousity, but surely the best person to ask as to her identity is herself? I take it you have posed to her the question?"

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:22 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shakes his head. "She has never spoken a word in our presence. We thought she was mute." He turns towards the Piper shaped blur, and asks: "Little Mother, who are you?"

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:27 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I suppose it's better than nothing, eh?" Felix says, grimacing. Once he's done he sets about surveying the work they've done on the ship to see what sort of progress has been made and if there's anywhere he can help. If there isn't anything that needs immediate attention, he'll sit down with David and uses his skills to draw up construction plans that should maybe help smooth out what they're hoping to go for.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:56 pm 
CCC wrote:
The Captain watches their interaction, then asks Roger "Would you have any reason, other than rampant paranoia, to consider Zalasbra any sort of threat or deliberate danger to the colony?"

"No Sir."

After answering the captain Roger moves over to listen to Arkady and Zalasbra and waits to see if Piper responds to Arkady's question.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:06 am 
Piper frowns at Arkady, then rolls her eyes. She turns her head slightly and looks directly at the apparently older Styric.

"Zalasbraaaaaaaaa!" she whines. "I was trying to develop an air of mystique here!" She grumpily crosses her arms. "Now nobody's going to think I'm mysterious at all!"

The attentive listener will notice that she hasn't answered Arkady's question.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG