Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:41 am 
the root of all evil
the root of all evil
AOL: rit+0042
Nothing is official yet but we're working on some updates to sluggy.

As part of that, it would be nice to really give a new look and feel update to both Sluggy.com & .net.

I am a coder by trade, and I can put together Javascript, CSS etc. but I don't have a designers eye. Pete is a comic guy and isn't much better w/ Site layout and design.

I'm kind of starting to look around for someone to maybe help us with a new design for the site, as part of the updated code base I've been working on.

While I'm not a designer, I do have a pretty good & discerning eye (From working in web dev for about 12 years) and I know what works and what doesn't - I also have SOME of a mental image of what I want the site to look like (For sluggy.com - I'd probably give someone a bit of free reign on sluggy.net).

I think the easiest thing would be to ask you guys to post some examples of your work, and preferably maybe a mockup (Photoshop, but you best be able to show you can convert that mockup to CSS/XHTML) of what you think sluggy.com could look like with a 'web 2.0-ish' update.

This process may take a bit, but I'd like to get a ball rolling and see what kind of talent pool we have around here :) Winners will be paid using treasure panned from Kiki's litter box!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:17 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Web 2.0 is so ugly.

Please don't change .net. I like the forum layout we have now.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:00 pm 
I also throw my hat into the ring of "don't fix what ain't broke"

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:53 am 
I personally would welcome an update, but my coding skills are negligible.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:16 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: thebassem
I can help, I'm a web designer and I do HTML and CSS / Javascript.

.net looks fine... but yes, the .com could use a bit of tweaking.

Mind you, if there's something I love about the design of sluggy.com it's that it's very light, takes no time to load. If it is to be redesigned, that ease should remain.

I'll try to come up with a couple mock-ups. Should we post them here in the thread?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:46 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: thebassem
Can we use art from the comics in the layout?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:16 pm 
I would suggest adding a "report as inappropriate" button for all the posts. I know you mods work hard but you can't catch everything and it would help us to help you.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:01 pm 
I know this isn't exactly helpful in the way you asked for but I definitely vote for 'don't fix'.

Sluggy is one of the very few webpages that I consider to have excellent implementation and design, being simple, effective, flexible, and fast. Honestly the biggest change I'd make would be to replace the kinda ugly orange gradient header on the comic page with the much more attractive blue gradient header from the forums. Maybe you could also polish it up a bit with rounded corners, reflections etc but really, nothing beyond that.

Overall I'd hate to see a perfectly good minimalistic organic design be thrown out in favor of a flashy designer-ish graphics-laden thing that slows things down and competes with the comic rather than improve anything (thenoobcomic.com comes immediately to mind).

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:31 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Another vote here from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. The site is clean, simple, easy to use, and quick to load. The only thing I'd like to see added is an easier way to work through the pages of the forums, member list, etc.

--tll

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:27 pm 
Location: We dine well here in Camelot. We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.
Another vote for the don't fix it. It's fine the way it is.
Change for the sake of change is for politicians.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:40 pm 
the root of all evil
the root of all evil
AOL: rit+0042
Believe it or not I'm actually working on making the site load FASTER.

We've thrown away every single line of code that currently exists for Sluggy.com, for various political reasons including no longer being affiliated with some of the people who originally contributed code and being fuzzy on the licensing.

Using CSS will actually cause the site to load much quicker and enable us to have it look good on portable devices such as iPhone and Blackberry.

We'll also be adding an RSS Feed, which people have been clamoring for for quite some time.

As for .net, I'm not sure we'll do much - but it is in the plans to upgrade to a newer version of the forum software which should make life easier for our mods.

Still up for any input on the design. If you are SERIOUS about helping, and not going to tell me "I like the design, please don't change it", email me thoughts and possibly mockups to:

bwmcadams+sluggy_design@gmSNAPEKILLSDUM ... ERSPOILERS

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:46 am 
Yahoo Messenger: cuirithir
Just to toss my opinion into the hat, look into Comic Press - http://comicpress.org

It has *a lot* going for it, it's built on the incredible Wordpress platform and the price, well, the price is the deal maker, imo.

The fact that it's easy to use and maintain doesn't hurt either ;)

- Edward McCain

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 am 
i do not have any coding skills whatsoever. instead, i am willing to help in whatever oth er way (feedback, suggestions, advertising, review) :riff:

Post Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:48 pm 
No coding skills but I can help with ideas feedback or I can draw some ideas for a new look if you want or something I'm not very useful am I.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm 
Sounds like this is a dead thread for now... but I did just post some thoughts on creating a Weekly Spec-Reaction zone (either in this forum or as a 3rd Sluggy Sub-forum) as a way to build community and give everyone a place to go free spec in a common way rather than when someone decides to do the work of posting a theory. Might be a good way to build more community/activity in the forums and energy around sluggy stories, which is always a good thing as far as Pete's readership/fanbase goes in my opinion.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat