Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:00 pm 
grandite wrote:
I'm wondering if there's any significance to the hat that oasis is wearing, with a picture of a screw and a picture of a ball. Screwball? Is there another interpretation I'm missing? Have we seen the hat before?

http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/160812

I've seen it in Bugs Bunny cartoons. I can easily imagine there is a comical hat out there somewhere with the same image. Maybe it's an in-joke and Oasis thinks she is/going insane?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:06 am 
Re slightlylooney's long post on Oasis.

That is an impressive psychological breakdown of the mind of Oasis. You raise many good points.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:30 pm 
I don't have the endurance to read the rest of the thread, so please forgive me if I'm an annoying idiot, but a theory I talked about with a friend a couple days ago is that maybe Oasis is a prototype of the nanos. She's a snapshot of the original Oasis that was alive in the beginning, but when she dies, the nanos invade and rewrite the person to become the new Oasis, DNA, fire abilities, memories, and all - similar to how Zoe was rebuilt in 4U city. Those nanos are what are programmed to follow orders and kill hereti-corp members by hijacking her mind and/or motor functions.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:32 pm 
Pink Freud wrote:
I don't have the endurance to read the rest of the thread, so please forgive me if I'm an annoying idiot, but a theory I talked about with a friend a couple days ago is that maybe Oasis is a prototype of the nanites. She's a snapshot of the original Oasis that was alive in the beginning, but when she dies, the nanites invade and rewrite the person to become the new Oasis, DNA, fire abilities, memories, and all - similar to how Zoë was rebuilt in 4U city. Those nanites are what are programmed to follow orders and kill hereti-corp members by hijacking her mind and/or motor functions.

Sound theory, but there are a few things wrong with it:
  1. Neither Hereti-corp. nor Dr. Steve invented the nanites. Dr. Shlock and Dr. Crabtree did.
  2. The Nanite 3.0 (the one with reboot capabilities) has not yet been invented on Sluggy Prime.
  3. The nanites operate within the Fate Web (because they work using science); Oasis has been explicitly stated to operate outside the Fate Web.
  4. The snapshots are rarely updated—the only way to do so is if someone with decent knowledge of how they work activates the manual override.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:16 am 
I feel reasonably confident Oasis is tied to the Prozoato and/or Kozoaku or at least Dunuloa. Just don't know how, so I don't have a complete theory, but would be greatly surprised if the explanation doesn't involve them in some respect.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:18 am 
The main problem with the snapshot/nanite theory is that Oasis is actually learning new things from each previous life.

It's interesting that today's strip does seem to indicate that Oasis resurrects every time in her "armor", though. And presumably in Dr. Steve's woods, although I'd have to wonder why Hereti-Corp doesn't find her there.

Unless that's meant to be where her memories start... which would raise some new questions, I think.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:23 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:
I feel reasonably confident Oasis is tied to the Prozoato and/or Kozoaku or at least Dunuloa. Just don't know how, so I don't have a complete theory, but would be greatly surprised if the explanation doesn't involve them in some respect.

I agree. I have no doubt whatsoever she's directly tied to all things Mohkadun in some way.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:17 am 
Yeah, it's pretty verifiable at this point that Oasis exists at the crossroads of magic and technology - her soul being moved to new bodies, made in I suppose the same way Kusari is (but more efficiently? Or maybe not in the way Kusari is). This must be helped by the fact that her soul is that of a god. Dunuloa would be my first guess, but Prozoato would be a great reveal too.

What I find interesting about the latest strip is that it puts more stock in the idea that she might be susceptible to brainwashing at the moment she dies. That probably suggests that Steve's watch somehow connected directly with her soul, rather than being a purely technological solution. And Orsintos being directly linked to frikkin wizards makes that theory more plausible. Could that mean she could be un-brainwashed by just giving her orders to think for herself and then killing her?

I propose some bloody experiments!

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:16 am 
Unfortunately we know so little about how Kusari revives vs Oasis. We do know Kusari's is finite (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20160308) while Oasis seems infinite. This suggests that whatever body/robots await Oasis are many while Kusari's are few. (Actually I don't believe Kusari enters a new body at all...)

In the past there was often speculation that Oasis was the sun twin and Kusari the moon twin. What if that was half right? Perhaps Oasis is a creation of Rana's and Kusari is a creation or construct of Dunuloa's? That would make them "sisters" and would explain the differences. Also worth noting Oasis doesn't enter her destroyed/already dead bodies. She becomes aware in the woods in a new body. Kusari however, might.

Hereti Corp seems to need Kusari's corpse(s) to bring her back. in the link above Schlock orders them to retrieve her body and it must be for a reason. He could flux the whole area if he wanted to but he's holding back.

I can get links if curious but the one other time we know Kuarsi was dead (when Oasis decapitated her in fire and rain) it took six months for Kusari to be seen again. Worth noting it is now 6 months later in the chapter titles :). We already know Oasis comes back immediately.

I propose Oasis is either Rana, or a creation of Rana's. Fire = sun. Pete said Father time hid Rana in the sun. Maybe a metaphor, maybe Oasis.

That nanite theory though, that'd definitely work for Kusari.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:30 am 
NovemberMists wrote:
That nanite theory though, that'd definitely work for Kusari.

Nah, I think she's been hit by an EMP at some point?
And wasn't Kusari seen long before Dr. Crabtree, the original nanite-experiment?

At least we have no reason to believe nanites are a finite source. They just need raw material to work, hC could provide that, and their resident expert Schlock could easily make more nanites if any of them ever got destroyed by a flamethrower or fire extinguisher.
Nanites are so well covered with the Crabtree and 4U City storylines that we know exactly what they can and cannot do - I don't think being "nanited" is the explanation for any unexplained character abilities in Sluggy.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:51 pm 
The nannite speculation came up when we learned of Oasis' amazing healing: "most powerful immune system and healing factor". Nannites are certainly not all of the story, but I wouldn't be so quick to rule them out as part of the story. Many great inventions were invented nearly simultaneously by different people. No reason that the Sluggite universe should be any different.

Kesandru wrote:
It's interesting that today's strip does seem to indicate that Oasis resurrects every time in her "armor", though. And presumably in Dr. Steve's woods, although I'd have to wonder why Hereti-Corp doesn't find her there.

We already knew that Oasis resurrects in her body armor (see the above hospital link and the Oasis v. Nash fight after he shot her). However, we're forgetting a few other scattered details... Like the fact that Oasis saw Nash point his gun at Katie, after she was shot dead (?). And the extra bodyin Nash's car. I'm not sure that we learned anything new (running in the woods) in today's strip, so much as we were given yet another odd puzzle piece that doesn't quite fit any of the other puzzle pieces we've been given - yet.

P.S. And I still think that the 'blob' next to the burning building is a person, and that person is Steve Hereti. Just sayin'....

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:47 pm 
I think this is a very clear confirmation that Oasis has a "spirit-mode".
She can observe even when her body is shot dead.
A new body is created/prepared for her.
When she resurrects, she observe her new body from the outside, until her spirit enter it.
This also fit with Orisintos' area of expertice: ghosts and spirits.
:oasis:

What we need to know now is how her bodies are formed - why is she an infinite resource, as opposed to Kusari?
And also the history behind her: Who was she originally (probably some Mokahdun deity lore), and how was "her mind created"?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:41 pm 
migB wrote:

Technically "the supernatural and/or paranormal" but whatever. Though Oasis is in their database under "ghosts and spirits". Hmm. Of course, she likely only enters "spirit-mode" only upon death, and as Dr. Driscoll said here, [Orsintos/the FBI] did not go around killing their subjects on the off chance that they tested positive for immortality.

Also, let's a list of theories that were completely thrown out the window with Friday's comic! What fun.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:02 pm 
migB wrote:
I think this is a very clear confirmation that Oasis has a "spirit-mode".
She can observe even when her body is shot dead.
A new body is created/prepared for her.
When she resurrects, she observe her new body from the outside, until her spirit enter it.
:oasis:

What we need to know now is how her bodies are formed - why is she an infinite resource, as opposed to Kusari?
And also the history behind her: Who was she originally (probably some Mokahdun deity lore), and how was "her mind created"?

Again, you're making an assumption. No one (in comic) ever said Oasis is an infinite resource. Schlock said Kusari was a finite resource and the assumption was made by many that this is in contrast to Oasis. It's not a bad assumption, but it is an assumption, so we don't necessarily need an explanation for something that isn't necessarily true. Certainly Oasis has come back more times than Kusari and her resurrection appears to be more automated than Kusari (based on the way Hereticorp members have talked about getting a new Kusari), but we don't know that it's without limit.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:13 am 
I don't think Oasis has a "spirit mode". Granted, Orsintos has research going on in that department, but didn't Driscoll say that wasn't why they were studying her? It was specifically because of the pyrokinesis.

It could simply be that when she "dies", whatever she actually is continues to create memories/input data until the copy is "born".

On the subject of Kusari, it could very well be that whoever Kusari is, that whatever is under the mask is the original Kusari reborn each time. That would explain the outfit, and explain why she runs from fights she knows she can't win, because dying probably hurts. It would also mean that, alternate dimensions aside, it's no one we've ever seen (for which we should probably be grateful at this point if my theory is true...) and definitely is not Sasha. Arguments against this: Daedalus asking for a "replacement Kusari" would imply an outside source instead of "recycling".

It IS interesting, though, that Oasis refers to the "last time" she came back from the dead, the last memories she can recall are Mrs. Zalia begging for help and Feng being murdered, even though this was before she murdered "Erin" (and all that OTHER stuff) during the bRoken chapter. So she blocked all of that out... or it didn't happen to "her". And even weirder, she doesn't seem to know at all that she's pyrokinetic, even though she was clearly an Orsintos test subject and seems to remember Orsintos. I wonder if Dr. Steve blocked that out on purpose, or if there's more than one person/entity in her head. "Controlled mind made human..."

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat