Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ] 

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:29 am 
I'm not exactly sure how forthcoming Driscoll really was, but I'm pretty sure what Dr. Steve knew about her was significantly more than what Orsintos knew about her. Whether it's because it's something he did to her or just an ability he took advantage of is another question (I mean obviously he did something to her either way, but I mean whether he gave her the ability to come back from the dead - I suspect he did in some sense, but he may have done so using an already existent immortal entity).

That's an interesting idea about events not happening to her. However, she did get glimpses of killing Erin so she clearly has some recollection of that. I think maybe she's blocking the other stuff because she doesn't want to confront the hard truths she was getting from Zoe.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:04 pm 
When I say the events didn't happen to her... what if the Oasis Dr. Steve gave orders to wasn't Oasis?

Speculation: Dr. Steve somehow traps Rana/Dunaloa (or whoever) inside Oasis' body. Being a "god", they're the dominant personality, but still under Steve's control through his watch and programming. He programs in the B-1 override, the love Torg command, his subliminal messaging, etc. but all of those are programmed on the trapped entity in Oasis, not on Oasis herself.

The entity retreats, raging against its' captivity but utterly helpless to do anything about. Hamstrung by commands, it becomes dormant, and real-Oasis takes over. The commands are still in place, influencing her actions. And when an Override B-1 triggers, the captive entity, being the one programmed with those triggers, takes over and real-Oasis becomes dormant, which is why her memories of Override B-1 events are hazy.

Years later, she meets the Zalias, and more importantly, Feng. Feng teaches real-Oasis control techniques. Oasis seems more coherent than ever before, more whole, finally seeming to take back control from whatever entity is captured inside of her.

Then Feng is murdered by Kusari. The shock of that act devastates real-Oasis, who mentally retreats, and the captive entity surges back into active control, choosing to act on the last command Steve gave it, to love Torg. And then the massive fighting in bRoken happens, Riff and Zoe "die", Bun-Bun gets a serious beatdown, Aylee gets wounded, Erin dies, etc. But real-Oasis doesn't actively remember any of that, because it wasn't really happening to her, but the entity inside of her. Memories of it will bleed through when real-Oasis regains control but in fragments.

tldr: Oasis isn't really the one who's programmed, the captive entity is programmed into THINKING it's Oasis, and that programming bleeds through into the real Oasis.

It's a crazy, messy theory. Probably has holes for sure. But I have no doubt whatever the truth is, is no less convoluted.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:11 pm 
Kesandru wrote:
It could simply be that when she "dies", whatever she actually is continues to create memories/input data until the copy is "born".

And it seems that whatever she actually is must be able to exist as a spirit. It watches the new copy from outside the body. And it leaves the old body in an invisible way - it's not some alien controller opening a hatch in her chest and walking out, MiB-style.
But I'm not too picky in my definition of spirit here. Maybe she is a god that may choose between spirit-form, an avatar or a true form. Or maybe it is a nanite-ish tech with microscopic controlling parts that disperse from the body once spent - I would also call that a "spirit-mode".

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:50 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Something just occurred to me. It seems likely that Oasis doesn't realize she's pyrokinetic. I'm guessing the pyrokinesis causes a similar haze as Override B-1 causing her to forget that she caused those fires in the first place. I don't know what that means for her in the long run, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 am 
Oasis seems to love Torg a bit too much and blindly for the watch. Torg I guess is family.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:49 pm 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
So Steve said it would be amazing if Oasis could form a personal relationship. For normal humans that's not amazing at all – everyone does it instinctively – so this supports hypotheses about Oasis' mind being of non-human origin. "A controlled mind made human." It speaks against Oasis being Rana or Dunuloa. They had personal relationships like everyone else. It does not preclude a construct like Dunuloa's "synthetics", but it's also consistent with other hypothetical kinds of non-human minds, for example an artificial intelligence created by Steve ("I built it!"), or some kind of demon from Hell like Oasis herself suggested (although I don't really think her "from Hell" comment was meant to be taken literally).

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:05 pm 
Rombobjörn wrote:
(although I don't really think her "from Hell" comment was meant to be taken literally).

The Nether is more probable...

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:55 am 
Kesandru wrote:
When I say the events didn't happen to her... what if the Oasis Dr. Steve gave orders to wasn't Oasis?

Speculation: Dr. Steve somehow traps Rana/Dunaloa (or whoever) inside Oasis' body. Being a "god", they're the dominant personality, but still under Steve's control through his watch and programming. He programs in the B-1 override, the love Torg command, his subliminal messaging, etc. but all of those are programmed on the trapped entity in Oasis, not on Oasis herself.

The entity retreats, raging against its' captivity but utterly helpless to do anything about. Hamstrung by commands, it becomes dormant, and real-Oasis takes over. The commands are still in place, influencing her actions. And when an Override B-1 triggers, the captive entity, being the one programmed with those triggers, takes over and real-Oasis becomes dormant, which is why her memories of Override B-1 events are hazy.

Years later, she meets the Zalias, and more importantly, Feng. Feng teaches real-Oasis control techniques. Oasis seems more coherent than ever before, more whole, finally seeming to take back control from whatever entity is captured inside of her.

Then Feng is murdered by Kusari. The shock of that act devastates real-Oasis, who mentally retreats, and the captive entity surges back into active control, choosing to act on the last command Steve gave it, to love Torg. And then the massive fighting in bRoken happens, Riff and Zoe "die", Bun-Bun gets a serious beatdown, Aylee gets wounded, Erin dies, etc. But real-Oasis doesn't actively remember any of that, because it wasn't really happening to her, but the entity inside of her. Memories of it will bleed through when real-Oasis regains control but in fragments.

tldr: Oasis isn't really the one who's programmed, the captive entity is programmed into THINKING it's Oasis, and that programming bleeds through into the real Oasis.

It's a crazy, messy theory. Probably has holes for sure. But I have no doubt whatever the truth is, is no less convoluted.

This makes a lot of sense to me! My biggest barrier to Oasis is moontwin/suntwin Dunloa/Rana is that she was a six year old orphan, but having one inside of her? That makes perfect sense!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:34 pm 
NovemberMists wrote:
This makes a lot of sense to me! My biggest barrier to Oasis is moontwin/suntwin Dunloa/Rana is that she was a six year old orphan, but having one inside of her? That makes perfect sense!

and this "one" is a powerful entity made of fire?
New headcanon: Oasis is Naruto :oasis:

Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:09 am 
With this Friday's reveal, one word comes to mind to help explain how Oasis "resurrects"

Clones

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:49 am 
AOL: Eagle299
BeachBull wrote:
With this Friday's reveal, one word comes to mind to help explain how Oasis "resurrects"

Clones

Problem with that, though. The Fate Spiders seemed pretty sure that Torg would eventually be able to kill Oasis with his sword. That wouldn't work if a fresh clone is just made every time.

I do think it likely that the Oasis we've known up until now is a clone of Slaughteresa's mother. But there's something more to her resurrection than just clones.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:56 am 
Eagle299 wrote:
I do think it likely that the Oasis we've known up until now is a clone of Slaughteresa's mother. But there's something more to her resurrection than just clones.

It's fate magic. Remember that for the gods, nothing from inside the web could kill them. What if a master fate magician could force the fate-web to give the same protection to her child? :oasis:

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:39 pm 
migB wrote:
Eagle299 wrote:

It's fate magic. Remember that for the gods, nothing from inside the web could kill them. What if a master fate magician could force the fate-web to give the same protection to her child? :oasis:

Or children... I've already noted that whatever it is she's sewing looks awfully familiar.... Fate web... Flannel... Just sayin'...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:45 pm 
It's pretty clear at this point that Syn'Thea has something to do with Oasis based solely on her appearance. I've formed a partial framework of what happened: ProtOasis, Chen, and Hereti worked together on the Oasis project. Hereti stole the tech because he had bigger plans (which still aren't clear). I still can't work out when Oasis was at the facility for the pyrokinetic research, or how that fits in.

Maybe Oasis was intended as a weapon, but Hereti saw some other potential?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:08 am 
uglyface2 wrote:
I still can't work out when Oasis was at the facility for the pyrokinetic research, or how that fits in.

She came to the facility as an orphan. So her parents or "parents" must have a) abandoned her, b) died or c) lost her when she ran away/was abducted :oasis:

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat