Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:02 pm 
CheeseWhisper wrote:
And it's interesting that Oasis is always reborn with a full set of hardware.

Yeah, I'd noticed that rather than spawning in her birthday suit.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:13 pm 
erewhon wrote:
As I understood it, Chen's instructions were to "Find Oasis and install the the transponder/transceiver" then, "get to the rebirth facility"

He may have successfully planted the bugs and be en-route to try and find a control watch to try and reprogram for himself now.

To what end, though? Steve supposedly died in the first Oasis-caused conflagration. Daedalus is presumed dead in the hC collapse pit. Unless Chen can expertly alter his voice to sound like Steve, finding a watch is apparently not going to do him much good. Bun-Bun's attempt to use the watch to kill Torg notwithstanding...

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:56 pm 
At the very least, Chen has more options by being inside the rebirth facility than he does being out in the open with two murderous assassins, angry Riffs on hoverbikes, angry bunnies, and angry Schlocks with potential backup orbital DFA cannons.

I wildly predict that part of the cliffhanger doozy next week is that Chen is going to enter the rebirth facility to discover it's run by a small army of Rebirthed Dr. Steves.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:22 am 
swmartian wrote:
erewhon wrote:
As I understood it, Chen's instructions were to "Find Oasis and install the the transponder/transceiver" then, "get to the rebirth facility"

He may have successfully planted the bugs and be en-route to try and find a control watch to try and reprogram for himself now.

To what end, though? Steve supposedly died in the first Oasis-caused conflagration. Daedalus is presumed dead in the hC collapse pit. Unless Chen can expertly alter his voice to sound like Steve, finding a watch is apparently not going to do him much good. Bun-Bun's attempt to use the watch to kill Torg notwithstanding...

He must have a plan or he wouldn't have set things up to give himself the best possible chance of getting to the facility.

He's a master technologist who worked under Dr Steve and will have some familiarity with his methods and equipment. I've no doubt that given time and resources he could reprogram or duplicate a control watch if he had one to study. For example, if there are any voice recordings of Steve anywhere he could potentially use samples to create a filter for his own voice.

But like I say my money is on him counting on his skills to be able to analyse and reprogram a watch to respond to him.

There's also the possibility (being Chen) that very little of what he told Irving and Kusari was true and there are other things he knows about the rebirth facility that will be revealed shortly.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:09 am 
We also haven't seen the extent of the damage to HC central yet.

If the shaft wasn't quite wide enough all the way down, it may have scraped to a halt and wedged while remaining relatively intact. It was built as a fortress, so may have retained some structural integrity.

Perhaps 20 stories or so down, as in 4U city?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:11 am 
erewhon wrote:
Bunny Suction wrote:
erewhon wrote:
Gwynn's personality was basically gone in ancient Mokhadun for at least a year during which Kusari was definitely operative.

Right, and we've seen Kusari and Sasha at the same time for that matter. But I don't think that rules out it being either of them. If we can have Daedalus and Steve at the same time, or Synthea and Oasis, we can have Kusari and the person she is based on co-existing. Same with my spec re: Zoe. I don't think she's OUR Zoe. But I'm going to wager a guess that it's A Zoe under that mask.

Based on Kusari's own statements in the past regarding her kinship on some level with Oasis and the apparent prior
working relationship between Chen & Sin'thea La Morte, I'm picking its more likely that Kusari will have far more resemblance to Sin'thea, Monicruel, Theresa or Oaisis herself than to any of the nifty crew.

Or in fact, she may well resemble Harbinger.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:13 am 
CheeseWhisper wrote:
I assume the Gwynn-Kusari spec is because of the diamonds, correct?

Or she re-equips herself at the rebirth facility

Post Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:17 pm 
erewhon wrote:
CheeseWhisper wrote:
I assume the Gwynn-Kusari spec is because of the diamonds, correct?

Or she re-equips herself at the rebirth facility

Some things are best left forever unanswered. lol. Enjoy the magic.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:04 pm 
OK, so Chen hatches this scheme that involves the rebirth facility. What does Schlock think that he's going to accomplish there? Schlock wants control over Oasis, but even if there is a watch there, why would Chen program it to accept Schlock's voice - even with Kusari watching him? We assume that Schlock's ultimate aim is to create Harbinger. Does he use his scan on an existing body at the rebirth facility? Is it merely the technology of the rebirth center that he needs? Schlock now knows the location of the rebirth facility. Why does he still need Chen?? Why did Chen think he was going to make it out of this situation alive (he had to know that Schlock would send Kusari with him)?

So whatever Schlock wants Chen to do for him, can Chen turn it to his own advantage? Chen presumably does not have Schlock's scan with him. Is he planning on there being a spare watch there? What does he do now? Schlock is no threat by himself, and his empire is gone. Kusari is a threat, but she is a tad distracted now. Does Chen make a break for it and get the hell out of Dodge? Or is what the rebirth facility offers worth the risk?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:23 pm 
swmartian wrote:
...Schlock is no threat by himself, and his empire is gone.

If that orbital DFA assembly space station is a reality and Schlock is still in a position to utilise it, then he far from defeated.

HC was more than just HQ and one REA factory. There will be lots of assets and agents still in the field and the House of Cheese chain was a front for nefarious chemical shenanigans with a lot of staff and resources.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 am 
Stray operatives aside, HeretiCorp is a dead megacorp walking, and more importantly I don't think Schlock cares. Before Torg's gambit, he'd already cleansed every project leader in the company. Just like a pirate captain who kills his crew after they bury his treasure. As far as he's concerned, the company's purpose has been served.

Ultimately, it was always about Oasis and - more importantly - Oasis' technology. Schlock is a big picture guy: a pure utilitarian who cares more about security than anything. He came from a timeline doomed by an ancient god of destruction (also, can I point out he traveled through time? Besides the stormbreaker saga, those ventures always end up at one specific destination, but we know the way out can place people where ever is most helpful for Fate...or the breaking thereof(convolutions within convolutions, parentheses within parentheses)). Schlock has already seen what happens when the world ends, and he's not a big fan. If it takes killing thousands to make the world safe forever, he'd do it in a heartbeat. But if all it took was finding that Rebirth facility and hooking everyone into it, that's even better. Poopypants can't make extinct what can't be killed, right?

Of course, what I'm currently very suspicious of, is why Kusari is acting so obsessed over Torg confronting her? They're barely acquaintances as far as we know. And as far as Torg knows. Or are they? What is it Kusari wants with Torg?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:33 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Stray operatives aside, HeretiCorp is a dead megacorp walking, and more importantly I don't think Schlock cares. Before Torg's gambit, he'd already cleansed every project leader in the company. Just like a pirate captain who kills his crew after they bury his treasure. As far as he's concerned, the company's purpose has been served.

Ultimately, it was always about Oasis and - more importantly - Oasis' technology. Schlock is a big picture guy: a pure utilitarian who cares more about security than anything. He came from a timeline doomed by an ancient god of destruction (also, can I point out he traveled through time? Besides the stormbreaker saga, those ventures always end up at one specific destination, but we know the way out can place people where ever is most helpful for Fate...or the breaking thereof(convolutions within convolutions, parentheses within parentheses)). Schlock has already seen what happens when the world ends, and he's not a big fan. If it takes killing thousands to make the world safe forever, he'd do it in a heartbeat. But if all it took was finding that Rebirth facility and hooking everyone into it, that's even better. Poopypants can't make extinct what can't be killed, right?

Of course, what I'm currently very suspicious of, is why Kusari is acting so obsessed over Torg confronting her? They're barely acquaintances as far as we know. And as far as Torg knows. Or are they? What is it Kusari wants with Torg?

Yes, you can omit HC the corporate entity as such but my point is largely the same as yours: Schlock may well still be at large and with dangerous resources available to him. And he's a paranoid coward, so doubly dangerous.

I'm wondering if he's looking for the rebirth facility to provide him with essentially the equivalent of the powerful 4U City medical nanite technology. It would make some sort of sense for Oasis to be a clone with restored snapshot memory for example.

We know he can't quite duplicate his own medical nanites yet which may explain Kusari's imperfection for his purposes. Having that tech might enable him to create the true Harbinger killing machine.

As for Kusari, I'd say she's deliberately trying to goad Torg into engaging her and not pursuing Chen, so he has a chance fulfil his mission. (Which he no doubt will pursue on his own terms)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:36 am 
So... Only three strips are left. Either they're all ten-parters, or The End will be extremely underwhelming, or extremely confusing.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:29 am 
The Friday page will just be a link to the ending of 2001 A Space Odyssey

erewhon wrote:
We know he can't quite duplicate his own medical nanites yet which may explain Kusari's imperfection for his purposes. Having that tech might enable him to create the true Harbinger killing machine.

Well remember, Kusari and Oasis were developed by versions of Dr Steve, not Schlock. Even in the DoR timeline, the snapshot making nanites didn't come till long after. And Chen's contributions came from the Orsintos side of things, dealing with controlling souls and such. So I doubt nanites are involved. At least not for Oasis. Kusari is still a wild card since it's possible she's from another dimension

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:50 am 
Chen 'cut' into Osasis neck. It was to remove a device. this device either 1) let Dr Steve control using the watch, or 2) acted as a transmitter to send Oasis's thoughts/memories to the new waiting body.

Dr Chen knows it transfers the thoughts/memories. He uses it as backup.. and when he gets killed, he gets transferred as a rebirth into Oasis's waiting 'next body'.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat