Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:25 am 
Rebirthing site: an automated process, or is it run by some strange older magical woman?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:35 am 
Well.. I think we all know what will happen next, barring a sudden sub-chapter change...

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:48 am 
This is less a prediction and more of a "what I want to happen next", but at some point I feel like we REALLY need a flashback from Dr. Steve's point of view. There are just so many holes in our knowledge, that the backstory holding up this chapter has begun to look like swiss cheese. And it doesn't help that Marcus is a consummate liar.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:24 am 
Kesandru wrote:
Well.. I think we all know what will happen next, barring a sudden sub-chapter change...

You've said that and being serious i think we're due a filter week

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:05 pm 
yurak wrote:
Kesandru wrote:

Well, a filter day.

But if the chapter doesn't change, I think the next thing Chen does is reveal the Equinox. Because that's where ALL the players in the opposition currently are, aside from Teresa, Percy (and Nash?). That'd kickstart the war that has to happen soon. And that's the only location that would have enough power on Torg/Riff's side to possibly win, since I doubt Gwynn and Bun-Bun are joining any direct assault on Hereti-Corp - Gwynn because her only real offensive capability is one she does not want to use if she has a choice, and Bun-Bun because he's Bun-Bun, and would probably focus more on killing Oasis.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:02 pm 
Kesandru wrote:
yurak wrote:

Well, a filter day.

But if the chapter doesn't change, I think the next thing Chen does is reveal the Equinox. Because that's where ALL the players in the opposition currently are, aside from Teresa, Percy (and Nash?). That'd kickstart the war that has to happen soon. And that's the only location that would have enough power on Torg/Riff's side to possibly win, since I doubt Gwynn and Bun-Bun are joining any direct assault on Hereti-Corp - Gwynn because her only real offensive capability is one she does not want to use if she has a choice, and Bun-Bun because he's Bun-Bun, and would probably focus more on killing Oasis.

filter? Do y'all mean "filler"?
I don't think Chen can do that... Torg isn't stupid enough to tell him about the EquinoX (is he??). So how would Chen know about it? I still think Chen found the watches while he was wondering around the destroyed baselab... Because what good does projecting Schlock's scans into an Oasis body do if he can't control 'it' any better than he can control the current incarnation?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:33 pm 
At this point Chen doesn't even have to do anything else to betray Torg. He's already given up enough information for Schlock to act with or without Chen's help.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:31 am 
I guess we now know why Chen was giggling here http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20170410

He must have found out Daedalus/Dr. Steve's connection during that "sunshine hour."

And I truly can imagine Chen laughing the laugh of the not so stable for years (in secret) every time he saw Daedalus..
I am assuming that Chen kept that knowledge a secret from him.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:19 am 
Bunny Suction wrote:
Kesandru wrote:
And I also agree that Chen has a control watch. Probably why he was giggling. Either that or he knows Dr. Steve is still alive.

I think one of these for sure. Or a third possibility, maybe, is that there is something more to Dr. Steve and Daedalus' connection than just father/son and Chen knows this.

Boom!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 am 
I don't think the "rebirth facility" is real. It's just too convenient, and hC should have found it by now if it were that close.

And the "Dr. Steve = Daedalus" thing isn't possible given that hC suffered a hostile takeover by Daed 30 years before Dr. Steve died.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:48 pm 
RamenChef wrote:
I don't think the "rebirth facility" is real. It's just too convenient, and hC should have found it by now if it were that close.

And the "Dr. Steve = Daedalus" thing isn't possible given that hC suffered a hostile takeover by Daed 30 years before Dr. Steve died.

hC only just "recently" got their hands on Steve's base, and they'd been searching for that for years.

We also don't even know for sure if it's necessary to die for this rebirth to work.

It does explain that vision of Gwynn's, though.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:20 pm 
RamenChef wrote:

Hostile takeover was in the mid-90's: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20081203
So let's estimate 1995.

Dr. Steve died in 1999: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/19991017
So only 4 years, give or take.

To your point though, the Daedalus of the hostile takeover could not have been a "rebirthed" Dr. Steve in the sense of being Dr. Steve brought back to life (unless time displacement is involved), because the takeover happened before the death, so it stands to reason that the rebirthing process allows there to be more than one copy of someone at the same time. Either that, or rebirthing could refer to a different individual's body (Daedalus' in this case) being "overwritten" with a new identity upon the death of the individual to be rebirthed.

Last edited by Bunny Suction on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:21 pm 
Kesandru wrote:
It does explain that vision of Gwynn's, though.

"Dr. Steve is Dae...": http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20010203

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:49 pm 
I rather doubt Chen's assertion that Oasis will trust him because she knew him when she was a child.
I don't know that she is very trusting in general, unless programmed to like she is with Torg. Her memory of her childhood may not be clear, but I think she knows it wasn't a great one.
And she must know that he's been involved in things since then (does anyone know if she does?)

There is still part of me that thinks Chen is playing a game here.

Maybe he knows all he says he knows about the rebirthing center, but he is not incredibly forthcoming about what exactly it is. Maybe he is leading Schlock on to a conclusion that would get Chen what he wants.

Now that Daedalus has been revealed as Dr. Steve, I think we might see what Riff is up to.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:56 pm 
OK, assuming that Dr. Steve used the "rebirth" facility to create a copy of himself before he died, what happened when he actually died?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2999 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat