Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:41 pm 
Location: Fort Merritt, Santa Cruz Fleet Base, Santa Cruz System
Formless One wrote:
Memory loss over time. She admits as much in her private dream-conversation with Mrs. Claus that she barely remembers anything from before she became the avatar of Halloween, even though we now know that she was the original avatar of Halloween and predates the holiday itself. In the same conversation she appears to have a revelation where her it all comes back to her, but we never found out what specifically she remembered because it was related to the Deus Ex Ovum and its history. Possibly also how Bunbun got exiled to Timeless Space as well.

Oooh, good catch. Maybe Bun-bun's memory loss is also attributable to the Deus Egg? Could someone check around and see if there's any indicator of memory loss around the Deus Egg in the comic?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:23 pm 
SheVa Nine wrote:
Formless One wrote:
Memory loss over time. She admits as much in her private dream-conversation with Mrs. Claus that she barely remembers anything from before she became the avatar of Halloween, even though we now know that she was the original avatar of Halloween and predates the holiday itself. In the same conversation she appears to have a revelation where her it all comes back to her, but we never found out what specifically she remembered because it was related to the Deus Ex Ovum and its history. Possibly also how Bunbun got exiled to Timeless Space as well.

Oooh, good catch. Maybe Bun-bun's memory loss is also attributable to the Deus Egg? Could someone check around and see if there's any indicator of memory loss around the Deus Egg in the comic?

Bun Bun's memory loss is attributable to the fact that he beat the everloving crap out of his younger self on the way out of Timeless Space.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 am 
CheeseWhisper wrote:
SheVa Nine wrote:
Formless One wrote:

Bun Bun's memory loss is attributable to the fact that he beat the everloving crap out of his younger self on the way out of Timeless Space.

Yes, he inflicted a concussion on himself. But a concussion is incapable of explaining the loss of every memory of godhood/pre-Timeless Space. Medically, a concussion can't do that. Also, younger-Bun-Bun doesn't remember being a god in Timeless Space, does he? (If he does, please show me.) And from what we think we've found, he was thrown into Timeless Space after the use of the Deus Egg. I don't think that your point completely invalidates mine. All it does is explain why he doesn't remember being in Timeless Space. I think I need to re-read all of HW and OU to look for more hints and clues, but I can't think of anything offhand to disprove this theory. Maybe I just need to find more evidence.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:11 pm 
Could be. I just don't think that "medically speaking" is quite enough to take issue with the way a god-bunny reacts to having been beaten up by a version of himself from the future while traveling through an alternate dimension where time doesn't exist :)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:29 pm 
We don't know if Captain Bun remembers pre-timeless space Godhood because we don't know what happened in the interim. My guess is he does. I think the complete eradication of his memories via concussion is one of those things that may not make complete logical sense, but warrants the required suspension of disbelief in terms of the larger overall story.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:03 am 
Bunny Suction wrote:
We don't know if Captain Bun remembers pre-timeless space Godhood because we don't know what happened in the interim. My guess is he does. I think the complete eradication of his memories via concussion is one of those things that may not make complete logical sense, but warrants the required suspension of disbelief in terms of the larger overall story.

The concussion Bun-bun gave himself definitely clouded his memory of timeless space but didn't completely erase it. He remembered enough to know "time bubbles were good".

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:12 pm 
s.i.l. wrote:
The concussion Bun-bun gave himself definitely clouded his memory of timeless space but didn't completely erase it. He remembered enough to know "time bubbles were good".

Exactly. If his concussion didn't completely erase his memories of Timeless Space, how could it have completely erased his memories of being a god? Also, he doesn't do anything in Timeless Space which indicates him thinking of himself as a god or ex-god. Being Bun-bun, I'd think he'd have given some kind of clue towards that, which he didn't.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:20 pm 
SheVa Nine wrote:
Also, he doesn't do anything in Timeless Space which indicates him thinking of himself as a god or ex-god. Being Bun-bun, I'd think he'd have given some kind of clue towards that, which he didn't.

We do know that Bun-Bun's general attitude to bad things happening is to say "aw crap" and move on. I could see him referring to being a god/ex-god, but since he's not one to wallow in the past, I'm not surprised if he keeps his past a secret from everyone in Timeless Space.

Regarding whether or not a concussion can give you amnesia, it's kinda a moot point:
  • Uncle Time specifically says the amnesia was Bun-Bun's fault.
  • Head trauma generally can give you memory loss when it damages the brain in specific areas.
  • Concussions can, medically speaking, give you short-term memory loss (one link of many).
  • Bun-Bun's a rabbit, so I'm not sure human-concussion rules apply.
  • It's a comic. With magic and gods.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:24 am 
SheVa Nine wrote:
CheeseWhisper wrote:

Yes, he inflicted a concussion on himself. But a concussion is incapable of explaining the loss of every memory of godhood/pre-Timeless Space. Medically, a concussion can't do that. Also, younger-Bun-Bun doesn't remember being a god in Timeless Space, does he? (If he does, please show me.) And from what we think we've found, he was thrown into Timeless Space after the use of the Deus Egg. I don't think that your point completely invalidates mine. All it does is explain why he doesn't remember being in Timeless Space. I think I need to re-read all of HW and OU to look for more hints and clues, but I can't think of anything offhand to disprove this theory. Maybe I just need to find more evidence.

We're assuming he doesn't remember being a god. But what if he just doesn't care? This is Bun-Bun we're talking about, and by every indication, he acts almost exactly the same in past-Mohkadun as he does in the present, or did in Timeless Space. If anything, the younger Timeless Space version of Bun-Bun seemed more careless and arrogant, less calculating, if I'm remembering the story right. Kind of like a god from Mohkadun would act.

Maybe being a god is simply inconsequential to him, and always was. But I do think his concussion scrambled more than just his memories of Timeless Space. He remembers the Time Bubbles, he remembers his feud with Santa, but I'd be willing to bet he'd have no clue whatsoever who Rana or Dunaloa were. After all, his older self didn't seem to know who Uncle Time was in Timeless Space either, and if he completely remembered Mohkadun, he surely would.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:09 pm 
AOL: Eagle299
Torg said recently that Bun Bun doesn't feel like a god. I have to wonder, is this because of a lack of mortal worship? He had the whole Mohkandan military worshiping him back in the day. These days, hardly anyone besides the main cast knows he exists. The Holidays all have powers because people believe in them.

While I doubt he could ever get any churches built to him again, there might be other ways for him to get the praises of the masses. Would he start to regain godly powers if he gained some sort of celebrity status? Like maybe taking up MMA?

Just a thought that came to mind.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:33 am 
Eagle299 wrote:
The Holidays all have powers because people believe in them.

Source, please?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 pm 
There's plenty of nonsluggy sources for that idea, so I'd assume it just bled into Eagle299's perception of the sluggy holidays.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:43 pm 
AOL: Eagle299
Lord Golbez wrote:
There's plenty of nonsluggy sources for that idea, so I'd assume it just bled into Eagle299's perception of the sluggy holidays.

Quite possibly. Its been some time since I actually read through the sluggy archives.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:59 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:
There's plenty of nonsluggy sources for that idea

OK, just so we are clear on the fact that there is no way Pete is bound by this idea. He could just as well hold that the holidays just exist and have power, regardless of whether people celebrate and believe in them.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:03 am 
Formless One wrote:
TCCPhreak wrote:
However, there are some problems with this theory: Lord Sluggy didn't seem to really care about Brehda. On the other hand, Bun-Bun didn't exactly care about the slaughtered bunny as well.

The ceremonial dagger predates Chaz; what's to say it can't predate the current Spark as well? It's use is to summon The Destroyer, so maybe Sluggy's mother was sacrificed at the end of the previous Spark like the Priestess of Justice was sacrificed by Farhan. This could also have something to do with the Bunny's vendetta with the Krig/Kringle. Plus, Bunbun's amnesia easily explains his apathy towards his mother's death.

This struck me as brilliant the first time I read it. The unity it provides to Bun-Bun's backstory makes it compelling.

For whatever it's worth, I think that a link to this scene may be in order:
http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/140620

Bun-Bun clearly recognizes the dagger as the one he saw in Wayang Kulit. Until reading Formless One's post, I thought that Chaz was the sword that killed Bun-Bun's mother, but the similarity of spirit-Chaz to the ceremonial dagger is superficial at best, and Sluggy didn't appear particularly distraught over Brehda's death - certainly not "ten-thousand year trauma" level distraught. The "Bun-Bun's mother was sacrificed to end the last spark and Bun-Bun blames the Krig for it" theory seems to fit so much better.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat