Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:08 am 
I've long been of the opinion that someone on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer writing staff was a Sluggy fan.

The best example is the episode "Fear Itself". The episode ends with a scene strongly reminiscent of a certain Zoe moment in the Storm Breaker Saga; and the original air date was approximately 2 months after that comic appeared.....close, but I think there's enough time there for a causal relationship. That episode also introduced Anya's fear of bunnies (although that could be a Monty Python reference instead).

There are other bits through the show, like Willow's random misread----"How to kill the demon....not Nerf, knife!"----which support the theory here and there.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:48 pm 
Ka-click! I may be reading too much into this, but check out the bunbun eco light, a flashlight that looks kinda like a switchblade. http://www.gizmag.com/bunbun-eco-light- ... ght/14684/. http://www.landport.co.jp/bunbun/howtouse.html

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:20 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Last week, community had a monkey named "Annie's Boobs." That is all...

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:43 am 
Here is a good one in Fans!: http://www.faans.com/index.php?p=2065> The story arc starts 2 pages prior.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:13 pm 
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but in John Ringo's "Hell's Faire", the crew of a giant tank names it Bun-bun. One of the main designers of the tank's name was Paul Kilzer, who was a personal friend of Pete's. And, of course, his catchphrase was usually, "Let me check my notes..." Further, it's mentioned that most of the crew of the tank are Sluggy readers. Also, I think Pete did a few specialty strips for the book.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:35 am 
I know that's been mentioned somewhere... even Wikipedia, I think.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:20 pm 
I'm pretty sure it's unintentional, but ZHOAS in Axe Cop?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:31 am 
I happen to be an avid AVClub reader. Tasha Robinson is one of my favorite reviewers because her tastes often gel with mine and I trust that if she saw some good in a book/movie/comic, so will I.

So I had a very "Nifty!" moment when I stumbled across a review of Sluggy she did eight years ago. I wonder if she still follows the comic.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:38 pm 
A brief mention in PvP:

http://www.pvponline.com/2004/01/11/sun-jan-11/

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:43 am 
Girl Genius, in which Heterodyne Castle says, "SAVE MEEEE!": http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20110216

Schlock saying the same thing in Sluggy: http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20110127

Given Phil Foglio has done guest strips for Sluggy I don't think this is a stretch.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:49 am 
Yahoo Messenger: lordmagnusen
I think that's a huge stretch, no matter if Foglio has done guest strips or not... it's not like "SAVE MEEE!" is Shlock's catchphrase or anything.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:15 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
Bun Bun is evidently a Helicopter pilot in the Delta Bravo Sierra Universe

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:24 am 
CRFH gives us a glimpse of what Gwynn's been up to lately.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:42 pm 
Lindley wrote:
I've long been of the opinion that someone on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer writing staff was a Sluggy fan.

The best example is the episode "Fear Itself". The episode ends with a scene strongly reminiscent of a certain Zoe moment in the Storm Breaker Saga; and the original air date was approximately 2 months after that comic appeared.....close, but I think there's enough time there for a causal relationship. That episode also introduced Anya's fear of bunnies (although that could be a Monty Python reference instead).

There are other bits through the show, like Willow's random misread----"How to kill the demon....not Nerf, knife!"----which support the theory here and there.

I've long charted Bun Bun's geneology back to the Monty Python Bunny... made even more likely now that we know his mom apparently had a habit of getting into fights with guys wielding medieval weapons. Of course, he'd have to have been sired before his ancestor got Holy Hand-Grenaded (in Thy Mercy), but that's not too hard to imagine. The phrase "do it like rabbits" didn't come out of nowhere. :bunbun:

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:47 pm 
Orillion wrote:
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but in John Ringo's "Hell's Faire", the crew of a giant tank names it Bun-bun. One of the main designers of the tank's name was Paul Kilzer, who was a personal friend of Pete's. And, of course, his catchphrase was usually, "Let me check my notes..." Further, it's mentioned that most of the crew of the tank are Sluggy readers. Also, I think Pete did a few specialty strips for the book.

Yes, Pete highlighted that in his news years ago too. Good times. (Did not know there were specialty strips though... durn now I really need to read this).

Its also been long established that his friend Paul was Pete's inspiration for Riff, Pete even put up an animation they did together back in the day on Defenders. He died tragically before Sluggy began, so I gather there have been alot of subtle tributes to him over the years. (I've always tried to figure out if Torg is the Pete half of that friendship, since its the heart of the comic. He's denied modeling other characters on his family, its unknown if others have any real-life inspirations) )

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat