Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Why is Oasis chatty?
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:49 am 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
Mr. Needles says "let's talk", and Oasis talks. And then both Kareen and Katie immediately notice that Oasis is unusually chatty.

It's starting to look like that blow to Oasis' head may have done something to the mechanism that Steve Hereti used to control Oasis. Will she obey commands from anyone now?

Post subject: Re: Why is Oasis chatty?
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:31 am 
Huh. Interesting.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:33 am 
I checked on your theory, and it seems to hold.
Up until "lets talk", she only have two instances of saying more than a single short sentence:
" "Intruder?!?" I'm just looking for the bathroom".
"I like your lapel pins! They are big an sharp"
...and really, that's just two short sentences put together.

In the Kitty fight, she don't even say a proper word before killing her, just "jeez" and "wow".

Then in the strip where she is told to tak, she suddenly have four instances of four or more sentences in a row.

And this continue. Actually, the strips where she is with Katey she say much less than the strips before - and Katey still complain of her being chatty :oasis:

So I'm with you on this one. It looks like a trail of evidence back to the blow to the head.
However, I think that "taking commands from anyone now" would lead to a way too silly situation with all the drama, so my guess is that this was a one-time event - she is open to new commands right after suffering a concussion.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:05 pm 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
What's more, she just not-killed someone. The thing she insisted years ago that she didn't know how to do. Oasis has grown.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:05 pm 
Not killed....Katie? For the cup thing?

It sounds like this has been going on for ages, not just since her head blow. Clearly Katie knew what was going to happen, and knew she wouldn't be killed if she pulled out the cup.

I think it has more to do with the time with Feng and other stuff, rather than just a recent blow to the head. She's been knocked around plenty of times. Maybe she's feeling chatty because she has the concussion, sure. It looks like she's tired and needs a break, now that she's got 8 months of rent $$.

Maybe every time she's brought back from the dead (as she's a "finite resource"), the control gets a bit weaker.

Or hell, it could just be as simple as the more time passes, the weaker the old commands become. This sounds much more scientifically likely to me. The blow to the head idea sounds too Flintstone's like to me. lol.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:23 am 
Kusari is a "finite resource." We don't know whether Oasis is finite or not. We know that in the case of the Schlock Triangle the differences between Oasis and Kusari are key, but we don't know what differences those are. Pyrokinesis? Finite vs. Infinite resource? Something else entirely? We don't know but it's certainly possible that the limitation that Schlock was referring to when he called Kusari a "finite resource" is not shared by Oasis. (I know I argued the opposite way a few months back, but that's because I'm not arguing that Oasis is infinite now any more than I was arguing she is finite back then - my point is we don't know one way or the other whether Oasis is a finite resource).

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:21 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Okay. Now I really want to know why the book is blank. Does Katie already know everything? Do we? Is Oasis literally just a blank slate? Did Oasis die with Dr. Steve and these other ones are someone else? Okay that last one is a bit crazy, but you knever know with Pete...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:27 am 
Yahoo Messenger: bluecloakgirl
AOL: bluecloakedgirl
Spirantz wrote:

No. remember long long ago, when she told someone that she didn't know how not to kill him? That killing was all she could do? She's learned nonlethal technique.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:22 am 
Remember Oasis's personally shifts every time she dies. Katie saying Oasis changed to the non-chatty jerk in the recap matches with her previous death and return. It's possible she was killed on the way to assassinating Needles, and that shifted her personality a bit. Or that the blow to the head killed her, but that sort of instant recovery isn't how we've seen it work in the past. So I doubt it.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:19 am 
Silly Green Monkey wrote:
Spirantz wrote:

No. remember long long ago, when she told someone that she didn't know how not to kill him? That killing was all she could do? She's learned nonlethal technique.

I mean, who did she apply the non-lethal technique to?
If it's Katie, then this is irrelevant. It's like saying she's learned to differentiate between a cup and a person.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 am 
Why are you obsessed with the cup? He already said no to that. Throwing a knife at a cup is not "non-lethal technique," because its affect on a person is incidental. She knocked Katie out. Deliberately, not because of Override B-1 and not because of a stupid cup. That's clearly what Silly Green Monkey is referring to.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:44 pm 
But like he said, that's irrelevant. We already know Oasis is protective of the Zalias and would never do something to get them killed. That was established back when Zheng was around and she was learning self-control. That's old news.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:00 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
Why are you obsessed with the cup? He already said no to that. Throwing a knife at a cup is not "non-lethal technique," because its affect on a person is incidental. She knocked Katie out. Deliberately, not because of Override B-1 and not because of a stupid cup. That's clearly what Silly Green Monkey is referring to.

Nobody obsessing here. Override B-1 applied to the logo/cup. The knockout came later and unrelated to the override, yes.

She learned to hold back when hitting someone a bit. Yes. I don't understand the big deal either. If it was ever a big deal, I'm pretty sure that was for comedic effect.

Anyway,
I'm still guessing that she's chatty because she's tired of doing this hiding and killing. The futility of it all.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:37 am 
I think it's more likely she's chatty because the slamming of her head into the wall did something to her brain/programming.

At least, that's what I'd like it to be.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:28 am 
Kesandru wrote:
I think it's more likely she's chatty because the slamming of her head into the wall did something to her brain/programming.

At least, that's what I'd like it to be.

Todays comic points to this, we are severely reminded of the hit to her head.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat