Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:09 am 
I have not seen anything yet on our wacky agent Tyler and his new lease on life. I feel that he will be a big player and what that entails is why Pete is having us follow him.

Personally I think he may end up being: Dr. Newguy.

I believe hew was introduced after this strip: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/971102
Which after checking the refs he was: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/110210
The amount of time works for schooling

in this strip we see them right next to each other: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20161209 Their heights match.

Newguy wares a mask so that if he runs into his past self (Tyler) he won't cause a paradox. It seems to fit, but I don't think were were ever told what Newguy is a doctor of. But that is a side thought.

Anyone see a flaw with my spec or think they can add to it?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:03 am 
I think you are 100% right. Dr. NewGuy have been such an obvious enigma that it has been really annoying not knowing his identity.
I was really surprised when it was eventually ruled out that Crushestro was under the mask - that seemed so obvious when the doctor was introduced...

...in other words, the identity of Dr. NewGuy has been screaming for a revelation for a long time.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:15 am 
Dunno, the way Newguy was clueless about what was going to happen to Tyler, makes me think it cannot be him.

This could be even further off the field, but what if he's Dr. Schlok?

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:23 am 
Mao wrote:
This could be even further off the field, but what if he's Dr. Schlock?

Dr. Schlock was from an alternate timeline where K'Z'K nearly destroyed reality. The current timeline isn't anywhere near that, although it could still be the timeline that Schlock was from.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:27 am 
Mao wrote:
Dunno, the way Newguy was clueless about what was going to happen to Tyler, makes me think it cannot be him.

He's playing along. He knows he can not alter the course of events (due to paradox rules) if he wants to guarantee Drake's safety. And the best way to get in position? Pose as the gang's therapist so you can relay intel on them to Hereticorp, earning yourself a seat on the board.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:00 pm 
Bunny Suction wrote:
Mao wrote:

He's playing along. He knows he can not alter the course of events (due to paradox rules) if he wants to guarantee Drake's safety. And the best way to get in position? Pose as the gang's therapist so you can relay intel on them to Hereticorp, earning yourself a seat on the board.

Oooh, tying both specs together! Nicely done, Bunny Suction!

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:09 pm 
I wonder what he studied and how he got himself on to the HC board.
In theory he would have studied psychiatry (the job), but I'm still curious to the infiltration.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:07 pm 
Dragma wrote:
I have not seen anything yet on our wacky agent Tyler and his new lease on life. I feel that he will be a big player and what that entails is why Pete is having us follow him.

Personally I think he may end up being: Dr. Newguy.

I believe hew was introduced after this strip: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/971102
Which after checking the refs he was: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/110210
The amount of time works for schooling

in this strip we see them right next to each other: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20161209 Their heights match.

Newguy wares a mask so that if he runs into his past self (Tyler) he won't cause a paradox. It seems to fit, but I don't think were were ever told what Newguy is a doctor of. But that is a side thought.

Anyone see a flaw with my spec or think they can add to it?

In the list from the mind of Tyler is says 'Do not meet your past self until the moment you travel back. Mr Newguy showed up the moment Tyler got Fluxxed. (the moment he got sent back).

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:41 pm 
well after looking at the Psychiatrist strips: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/070105

he kinda does look like Tyler, but not quite. I dunno :riff:

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:44 am 
Dragma wrote:
well after looking at the Psychiatrist strips: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/070105

he kinda does look like Tyler, but not quite. I dunno :riff:

His reaction to Gwynn's "figurative" tale would be fitting for someone who once had hallucinations of a demonic, soul-sucking Uncle Time, though. More sheer terror than just "crazy-woman-across-the-desk" concern. Or maybe it's just me.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:25 pm 
I'm with Dragma...

I think it's pretty obvious by this point that Tyler becomes Dr. Newguy - but the resemblance to the psychiatrist doesn't quite fit...... I'm not sold.... Not yet.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:01 pm 
My thought is that Agent Tyler becomes Tommy.

If you look at Tyler here and here, he looks similar to Tommy here and here. The resemblance is less striking here but there is some. Tommy does look older than Tyler but over a decade has passed between then. (Of course, my eyes could be playing tricks on me.)

I think that Tyler does try, unsuccessfully, to prevent Hereti-corp from taking over NASA. I also think that we haven't seen the last of Tyler/Tommy. A remote possibility is that he is one of the yet unnamed "pawns" on Torg's chessboard.

Regardless, Tyler has changed. His episode of insanity has somehow led to him having performing some introspection and gaining more self-awareness; it also looks like he has matured substantially even if he still has his silly moments given the page of his notes that we saw. He will be out to seek redemption by saving Agent Drake. We can see from their interactions that the two of them care about each other even if Tyler seemed to exist only to annoy Drake.

Of course, as Torg himself said, "Redemption is overrated".

Post Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:23 pm 
slightlylooney wrote:
My thought is that Agent Tyler becomes Tommy.

If you look at Tyler here and here, he looks similar to Tommy here and here. The resemblance is less striking here but there is some. Tommy does look older than Tyler but over a decade has passed between then. (Of course, my eyes could be playing tricks on me.)

Well looking at those strips, Tommy looks like the psychiatrist, of course then who's to say all or spec is not right. He could be now Dr. Tommy Newguy (Tommy's last name was not revealed) who only wares the mask when directly involved with hC.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:17 am 
Now I'm doubting the psychiatrist spec, as the timeline doesn't seem to add up anymore - The gang sees the psychiatrist from 2007 - 2009, but we seem to now be past that point in terms of the timeline (I think). He also bears a resemblance to Tommy, but that seems like it also wouldn't make sense as Tommy seems to be genuinely out of the loop on several things he would know about if he was already enmeshed in HC. Now I'm thinking Pete just has a tendency to draw dark-haired beardy guys the same way.

And yeah... he's 100% Dr. Newguy.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:55 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
From the reactions thread:
MetalMike wrote:
You may be looking for this.

Note Newguy's specialty. That pretty much confirms it. Tyler is Dr. Newguy.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat