Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:09 pm 
Oh crap, I just realized something.

Both Daedalus and Oasis just died, and Oasis just resurrected.

If Dade resurrects too (whether with or without later Steve-memories), they're resurrecting together now - in a base that may have a control watch. Oasis started first, but that doesn't mean she'll be done first...

Why does Kusari want Chen to keep going? She might just be operating under programmed orders - but being another resurrector, if she does have any sort of free will at the moment, she probably has more than enough reason of her own to want to get at Steve's resurrection lab - it may be her chance at freedom, especially if she can get there before Oasis and Steve/Dade are done resurrecting.

No matter where Schlock is right now or in what mortal state, things are about to get even more complicated, not less.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:15 pm 
Mithrandir wrote:
If Dade resurrects too (whether with or without later Steve-memories), they're resurrecting together now - in a base that may have a control watch. Oasis started first, but that doesn't mean she'll be done first...

There is no reason to assume that Dade resurrects automagically. He could be a one-time "proof-of-concept". After all, he was created while Steve was still alive - and we did not see a second Daedalus appear (to our knowledge, anyway), when Steve himself supposedly died in his lab's explosion. I do think Steve is going to be involved in this final chapter, but not as Dade.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:37 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Mithrandir wrote:

There is no reason to assume that Dade resurrects automagically. He could be a one-time "proof-of-concept". After all, he was created while Steve was still alive - and we did not see a second Daedalus appear (to our knowledge, anyway), when Steve himself supposedly died in his lab's explosion. I do think Steve is going to be involved in this final chapter, but not as Dade.

True. But there have been a few sightings of someone who could be Dr. Steve in the strip in conjunction with Oasis.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:41 pm 
swmartian wrote:
Mithrandir wrote:

To be fair, we had never seen Daedalus at all up to that point and really only have Schlock's biography to go on that he was around prior to Dr. Steve's death. It's probably true, but Schlock may have been working with manufactured info.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:07 pm 
Chen wants to stick Oasis with a syringe. Oasis seems distraught. Is it time for her to break her programming? Maybe one last Steve memory?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:00 pm 
uglyface2 wrote:
Chen wants to stick Oasis with a syringe. Oasis seems distraught. Is it time for her to break her programming? Maybe one last Steve memory?

I suspect a few (more) things will be broken by the time we finish this chapter. I have been suspecting that she would break free at this point ever since we heard they would be at (or near) the rebirth facility. I didn't expect Chen to be the trigger, though... But I'll bet you're right...

</looks for some popcorn...>

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:22 am 
After the August 18th strip, my first thought, and I still think it, is that Oasis escaped or defeated Chen

Post Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:15 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
After the August 18th strip, my first thought, and I still think it, is that Oasis escaped or defeated Chen

Broke her programming. I concur.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:20 pm 
If she broke her programming why is she still doing Override B-1?

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:45 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
If she broke her programming why is she still doing Override B-1?

Bent it?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:45 pm 
swmartian wrote:
uglyface2 wrote:

I suspect a few (more) things will be broken by the time we finish this chapter. I have been suspecting that she would break free at this point ever since we heard they would be at (or near) the rebirth facility. I didn't expect Chen to be the trigger, though... But I'll bet you're right...

</looks for some popcorn...>

Well she obviously did not break her programming here... I'm sad. Sad for Oasis. Fingers crossed that this finale ends up working for her as much as for the gang...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:11 am 
After the strip for 8/30/17, I imagined that Torg is seeing a huge room full of "waiting" Oasises in the kind of tubs she appeared to looking out of in her memory.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:07 pm 
After reading through this thread just before leaving work yesterday, I was speccing to myself whilst sitting in rush hour traffic. It occurred to me the simplest answer to all of our ponderings... Oasis is a Fate Spider! She operates outside of the web, and has 8 appendages (if you count her 4 pony-tails).

Hey, gas fumes on the highway lead to wacky theories...

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:43 pm 
dribble4all wrote:
After reading through this thread just before leaving work yesterday, I was speccing to myself whilst sitting in rush hour traffic. It occurred to me the simplest answer to all of our ponderings... Oasis is a Fate Spider! She operates outside of the web, and has 8 appendages (if you count her 4 pony-tails).

:-O I never thought of that. That's brilliant!

Since the Oasis speculation is likely to collapse somewhat after tomorrow or in the next few days, I wanted to quick re-iterate my thoughts about Oasis from way back, that I think are still valid (or at least not any less valid).

Philisophically, I've always been in favor of a Single-Oasis Theory. Having her be multiple clones sent out one by one is just less satisfying from a character point of view. I think, though, that a nanite-mind-copy system supporting Oasis' (imperfect) mental continuity means that this is less likely to be the case.

My core thought about Oasis (and Kusari, I suppose) is that their core nature has something to do with technological control of spiritual energy. That was hit really hard in the early days of the comic; the well of souls, and all that. And we know that very early on in the comic, people (and Bun bun, for that matter) were trying to make zombie undying soldiers. And we know within the world of the comic, zombies can be created magically.

So my thought is that Oasis' "controlled mind made human" is a containment unit of spiritual energy that is her mind/soul. In either case, possibly the containment unit for that spiritual energy is what's about to be revealed by Dr. Chen and Torg.

So my thought about Chen, and Kusari, and the Oasis/Kusari relationship is that both Oasis and Kusari have minds/souls/resurrection engines made up of containers of spiritual energy made of captured spiritual beings. The technology is the same, but the type of energy and/or beings are different in each case. The containment unit for Kusari's spiritual energy is well known to Hereti-Corps, and the people who work on it (like Dr. Chen) have seen it many times. Which is why Dr. Chen knows what he's about to see, even though he's never seen THIS one (the containment unit for Oasis) because he didn't know where it was. HC knows perfectly well what Oasis is, and how to deal with her, it was just a matter of finding her containment unit.

The *reason* that they've wanted to get her so badly all this time wasn't that the containment unit was unique; they had one just like it (or maybe even a better one). It's that somehow, accidentally, one of the beings that got put into her containment unit was something uniquely powerful that they couldn't reproduce with Kusari. I'm thinking that it was a major piece of K'Z'K, or something like that. Or (or and) maybe a piece of the soul of the sun sister, and the equivalent piece of the moon sister is what Kusari has.

Anyway, that's my thought. Somehow Oasis is supported by captured spiritual energy, and one of the pieces of that energy is a unique being connected somewhere else in the plot.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:01 am 
Confirmed-ish by Torg' s spec: "Oasis is a bunch of clones!"

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat