Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:50 am 
Could be, but remember in the DoR the nanites that fully resurrect people weren't invented until much later. Long after the r&d wars ended. For a long time they stored citizens in timeless space. The DoN was distinct in that their r&d war never came to a head. It's possible that Harbinger was a consolation prize for never fully executing the Schlock triangle, (maybe because Chen was a casualty? I forget who ends up on the 4U board but I doubt he's on it) after all, she's used as nothing but a slightly more effective Kusari in that dimension. Which isn't much to write home about given that her powers are literally god-like.

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:08 pm 
I posted this in the Chaz and Oasis thread, since it's really more about him, but since it relates to Oasis, thought I would post it here as well.

Random thought about Chaz and Oasis,
Some questions have been asked about Chaz finding Oasis as 'innocent'. We don't actually know how Chaz determines innocence.
Maybe it has a connection to the fate web, and Oasis being 'innocent' is more of a
function:
/query:fateweb:tallybadnesslvl=zero sum returned
Sort of thing than an actual moral judgement by Chaz

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:11 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
holy poop... phoenixes are magical creatures... what if Oasis' resurrection can be blocked by CappyBo?

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:37 am 
gregnier wrote:
holy poop... phoenixes are magical creatures... what if Oasis' resurrection can be blocked by CappyBo?

Who says it's magical?
I'm now wondering how City 4U resurrection works. 6 Pack was the only character (I can remember) bring killed and resurrected (Torg's injuries don't count).
I'm assuming this technology will tie in with the rebirthing suite.

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:37 pm 
yurak wrote:
I'm now wondering how City 4U resurrection works. 6 Pack was the only character (I can remember) bring killed and resurrected (Torg's injuries don't count).
I'm assuming this technology will tie in with the rebirthing suite.

No resurrection. Once dead = dead (otherwise Schlock would have kept himself alive). 6-Pack was saved by medical nannites - before he died.

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:18 pm 
I cant stop thinking about the Rebirth Facility. Dr. Steve is Dadealus / Dadealus is a rebirth. This implies Dadealus has Dr. Steves memories and went back to the company that betrayed him? Hmm! And if Dade didnt lead a hostile takeover of Hereti Corp (against himself, because, how could he?) than who did?

More importantly I think its worth noting Dade is a younger version of Steve. Oasis appears to be a younger version of Sin'thea. This suggests that when Oasis or Dr. Steve die they are 'rebirthed' at a specific age.I don't think Oasis is Sin'thea, but it makes me wonder that if each time Oasis dies she's reverted to whatever age she started at ( 18?). Food for thought.

Though I do think she is a genetic clone of Sin'thea.

As far as Oasis being innocent, she was made into what she is against her will. As a child. Unlike perhaps her sister Kusari. (she has something to be ashamed about? A choice to be what she is maybe? A choice Oasis didn't have? http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20081204.).

I also found the differences between Kusari and Oasis interesting. Oasis works outside of the web (dont have link), but Kusari has never been mentioned to. Oasis has stated (I can't find the link) that she doesn't know how to hurt people, only kill them. (the teacher who still has a pencil stuck in her leg from when Oasis was a child for example as its in a major artery). Kusari however, does know how to hurt and not kill: (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20090309). I think these differences make Oasis "innocent". She was made into a weapon,she didn't choose to be one. She doesn't know how to hurt, only kill. She was programmed to love Torg and be an assassin. How else does an assassin protect the one she "loves" if not killing potential suitors? Okay thats a bit of a stretch but perhaps the whole not having a choice in who she is gives her a free "pass" at killing rich bad guys for cash to protect the Zalias and trying to kill Zoe?

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:32 pm 
NovemberMists wrote:
I cant stop thinking about the Rebirth Facility. Dr. Steve is Dadealus / Dadealus is a rebirth. This implies Dadealus has Dr. Steves memories and went back to the company that betrayed him? Hmm! And if Dade didnt lead a hostile takeover of Hereti Corp (against himself, because, how could he?) than who did?

Well it seems Oasis only certainly remembered stuff there been 'programed' into her. After each death see suffers partial amnesia. Where she can remember things but vaguely/without clarity.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:39 pm 
I just had a weird thought.

OK, so Daedelus is a younger version of Steve. Steve was apparently still alive when this 'reproduction' or 'rebirth' took place.

I will go out on a limb and disagree with NovemberMists and speculate outright that Oasis is - similarly - a younger version of Sin'thea. She is most certainly related. Yet she calls Steve 'father'. At one point she referred to him as an Uncle. But that was when she was prevaricating to Torg, and it is not clear whether anything she said is true. Yet there is a 'family' connection between her and Sin'thea and her and Steve.

Teresa and Monicruel are sisters, and are apparently Sin'thea's offspring. Offspring - not reproductions.

So, if Oasis is a younger version of Sin'thea, that suggests that at some point Sin'thea and Steve were... ...together. Perhaps only as business partners. Or perhaps Steve is the biological father of Teresa and Monicruel? (<-- that's the weird thought) Which implies that Oasis is kind of Teresa's and Monicruel's 'mother', though by DNA only. (Even weirder thought).

So if this is all true, where does Kusari fit in? Oasis' sister? For real? Or figuratively?

...And Sasha... Two things about Sasha. Her quick healing suggests a connection to this 'family'. Is she truly a psychopath? Or is she a controlled mind? Like Kusari? So... I was NEVER onboard with the Sasha=Kusari theorists, but maybe now I am... Maybe Sasha is a younger version of Kusari? Like Daedelus. Like Oasis.

Last edited by swmartian on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:43 pm 
swmartian wrote:
I just had a weird thought.

OK, so Daedelus is a younger version of Steve. Steve was apparently still alive when this 'reproduction' or 'rebirth' took place.

Oh! I missed that! I thought he came around after Steve died. Than Oasis definitely could be a younger version of Sin'thea.

WOW this is one messed up potential family tree! I definitely think Steve could be Moni'Cruel and Slaw'Teresa's biological father. (that or Chen, but I think Sin'thea would have said as much in her reveal). Their father doesn't seem to be in the picture which works perfectly with Steve. Slaw said something like in her entire family she only cares about Moni'cruel and we see her reluctantly reach out to her mother and she never mentions her father.

I do think Sasha is more than just some random girl that joined HC as an agent, and I've always been barking up the Sasha=Kusari tree. Now I'm just super curious about the mask Kusari wears. Does she wear it because she's an older version of say Sasha and doesn't want to be seen by the other agents? Does she wear it because she's identical to Oasis and hates that? Does she wear it because she's maybe mutilated? She seems to fit the family tree perfectly, but Monicruel and Slaw don't seem to to know her in all their interactions with her. Then again I doubt either of them have met Oasis.

Im starting to think Sasha is a controlled mind. The last few comics this week and last have made me believe she genuinely has feelings for Riff but that that isnt enough to stop her from trying to shoot him in the face. (follow HC orders). Immediately after the shooting at him she smiles at him and welcomes him back. (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20120817 & http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20120820). It reminds me of Oasis here in the first two panels: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20020709. Like They're forced to follow orders (in Oasis's case override B-1) but expresses her own feelings when there's no more "work" to do.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:35 am 
...random thought that popped into my head just now.

What happens if Oasis "dies" within Cappybo's area of effect?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:54 pm 
The Bushranger wrote:
What happens if Oasis "dies" within Cappybo's area of effect?

Great question! Now how large is Cappy Bo's range of effect? And if not that large, will Gwynn get there 'in time' - assuming Oasis dies anytime soon? i.e., Will we get an answer to this question?

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:42 pm 
So I actually got this idea while I was in the Sasha thread and i'm sorry if anyone has proposed it before, I haven't seen it. So we know Chaz considers Oasis innocent or at least her 'body' innocent. Someone speculated that 'that girl' Chaz is referring to is the body or host Oasis is possessing, not Oasis herself. Oasis has theorized that she was a ghost possessing different people here; (http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20061122).

I don't think she's a ghost. I think, to some extent, the rebirths are nanite supported. We know HC doesn't have nearly the nanite technology that 4U city does, but maybe that changes when Schlock gets the rebirth facility? We also know that the 4U City nanites are capable of a hell of a lot. Fixing scar tissue, healing through the aging process. Re-writing memories and personalities with a biochip snapshot http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20110630.

So I propose that Oasis is as Steve said a mechanical mind made human. She is a snapshot that gets updated when an Oasis dies. The say main computer/AI (like the one here? I forget its name http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20110602) receives data when an Oasis dies of the new memories she's gained applies it to the "snapshot" and it is inflicted on a new host (victim) re-writing their DNA, re-arranging their face making a poor (innocent) girl "Oasis".(I very much think the contributor for the DNA snapshot was a younger Sin'thea.) The girl takes on Oasis's appearance and she gets bits and pieces of the previous Oasis's memories that were sent out when the last one died. She gets override B-1 and pyrokinesis from the snapshot/the nanites on her. The nanites give her an incredible healing ability as well. (We know the nanites cant 'copy' magic. So i'm going with pyrokinesis via nanites!)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:46 pm 
The Oasis proto-Nannite machine seem spot on as likely very close to the mark from all we know so far.

Still, I would not discount the likelyhood Oasis' older double/clone-source lady is totally a red herring. A Fate Magic expert
screams multiple things going on.

Magic and Science have long been twin/opposite forces in sluggy- as emphasized in a chapter of Mokhudan, in Torg and Riff's discussions of
various possible magic and tech apocalypses, etc. Very Ying Yang in some ways. The following comic bears some significant thought for the
hints Pete drops.

http://sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20110914

Riff goes to great effort to point out how amazing it is that certain things, Zoe's Tatoo (but not the necklace) and his eyes affected the nannites.
Both have ties to magic, though we know Riff does not know his eyes are the result of a Divine curse at that point.

"If I'm right, it means the curse was something the nannites couldn't document, and they document EVERYTHING. The implications are IMMENSE"

Interestingly they acted differentluy though- Riffs eyes were unchangeable, whereas Zoe's tatoo was un-copiable.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:23 am 
It's the mind. I think I get it.
(or I've finally succumbed to the madness, one of the two)

The technology to do a "rebirth" is different from exactly what happens to Oasis. Dade was created while Dr. Steve was alive, just like Oasis was created while Sin'thea lives on (if that's really what she is, but I don't see why it wouldn't be). Whatever memory transference happens, it would only be up to the point they were created and they wouldn't gain any new memories from their original dying, since the initial transference likely happened manually. Otherwise Dade would've suddenly gotten a lot smarter after The Isle of Dr. Steve burned down, and well...clearly that didn't happen. Just based on how much smarter Steve was, that is. Dade even still searched for the base in vain. Now this could have been a ruse, but I don't think Steve would've bankrupted HC then gotten himself imprisoned by his own company. At some point the ruse stops being a ruse and just becomes the thing that actually happened.

Likely, this is also how Kusari works, except it takes a long time for her to return after getting killed. Oasis, on the other hand, gets reborn almost instantly. Both return in their original bodies. This suggests that the intensive part of a rebirth isn't recreating the body, it's recreating the mind. Because there shouldn't be anything special about Oasis's clones mechanically (whether they're made with nanites or some other way): she's been the way she is since before all this experimentation. So if Kusari takes a long time and Oasis doesn't, the only operative difference is how the mind is transferred. And it's a vital element since, as Goatlord pointed out, technology can't "see" supernatural stuff. That would include Oasis's py(roken)esis. That makes Oasis the perfect lab rat, since you could prove the consciousness was transferred and not merely the memories by observing her burny powers. That would explain why her natural-born powers were an afterthought and never trained by anyone.

This explains why Schlock is so driven to secure Oasis. The technology/magic that makes her work is the only true non-god form of immortality. Every other trick leaves your consciousness behind in the old body - Kusari is really just a series of Kusaris who share memories. It's the SOMA problem. Oasis though is always herself. Her consciousness maintains continuity between bodies. If Schlock had that, he'd never have to worry about everyone in the world dying again. Because as much as he's a coward, the pattern is clear: in the two dimensions where he found a way to keep the human race (mostly) perpetually safe, he stopped fearing death. In one he did it by perfecting his inflatable technology. In the other he did it by perfecting nanite technology. In this one, his goal is to do it by perfecting Oasis technology.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:23 am 
How many times has Oasis died?

Dr Steve's lab (explosion)
Impaled by a tree (Gwynn)
Sushi burger (post Le Snootiers complications)
Alyee Corp (explosion)
Headshot (Strawman - Podunkton)
Beheaded (Strawman - hC severance)

Have I missed any?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat