Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post subject: Open Threads
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:56 pm 
So, I was following some links from 'what will happen next', and ended up chasing the link thread down the rabbit hole. When I came out, I found myself wondering how many open threads / arc's Pete has out there.

To start:
Oasis; origin and purpose
Schlock and Hereticore; links to Oasis and show down with Torg
KZK / poopy pants; does he get stopped or succeed
Cappy Bo; can he be destroyed
Sam and the war of the Vampire King
Timeless space; Kada and Callix and their Armada
Uncle Time and the fate pillars
Bun-Bun; origin and history with santa / the Krig
The (other) Mokadun God's / holidays
Torg origin / parents etc...
Sasha (maybe? I hope we get more answers at least)..

And these are just the ones off the top of my head that I think / feel / hope should get closed out.
If anyone has any more please feel free to add.
I hope seeing the list gets some peoples spec-thinkers going.

Post subject: Re: Open Threads
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:16 am 
Jimmymac wrote:
KZK / poopy pants; does he get stopped or succeed
Cappy Bo; can he be destroyed
Uncle Time and the fate pillars

Bun-Bun; origin and history with santa / the Krig
The (other) Mokadun God's / holidays

Torg origin / parents etc...
Sasha (maybe? I hope we get more answers at least)..

Poopypants IS stopped. He cannot be destroyed. This is as good as it gets. Cappy bo is there to help with that.

Bunbun and the gods...I don't expect pete to get back into this (and uncle time) before the 20 year mark. He's already hinted at them enough to say who they are now anyway. I do wonder about that dagger that caught bun bun's eye though.... I'd expect this and Sam to be potential year 20+ events.

Torg's lineage would be cool too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Far as I'm concerned, Sasha's story is still ongoing.

Unless Pete plans on wrapping the gods and hereti-corp into the same dramatic fate web reveal, I think we're just gonna settle the r&d wars.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:19 am 
This was kinda why I'm annoyed that Pete spent basically three weeks on on a sidequest that could have been done faster comic-wise. There is so much stuff to tie up and we only have a bit over two months to the main finale - how on earth are so many of these questions going to be answered? Sure some of this can be pushed to whatever Sluggy becomes after Aug 24/25 but there's so much relavent stuff and we are just running out of time. We're almost at the point where we can have one big revelation a day and still not tie it up...

The story needs to full throttle from here on and I hope it does because I'd hate to see the ending come unstuck.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:00 am 
There's also the mystery of Riff's eyes, mentioned here.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:26 am 
Riff's eyes are bad because he's a direct descendant of Symachus, god of Justice, who Khron struck blind as punishment for screwing up the good thing they had with Mohkadun. Riff's special eyes are indication that some of that god blood is still present within him, despite the many generations of dilution.

The assumption is that the big finale in August will resolve the Tangle storyline, but I'm starting to think that's not the case and Pete's actually saving that for whatever new format he's got planned for 20+. Maybe if it's more of a graphic novel type thing that's bi-weekly, that kind of strategy will make sense. He can take his time unfolding this ridiculously interweaved storyline, having simply wrapped up the Schlock Triangle thing, with Riff having finally prevented the DoR. Of course if the plan is what I initially assumed - lighter self-contained side stories taking place after (or long before) the big resolution - then he better hurry the frick up! D:

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:30 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
Riff's eyes are bad because he's a direct descendant of Symachus, god of Justice, who Khron struck blind as punishment for screwing up the good thing they had with Mohkadun. Riff's special eyes are indication that some of that god blood is still present within him, despite the many generations of dilution.

Is that confirmed in any way, or just a forum theory?

(It's been a while since I've read the Mohkadun chapter)

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:52 am 
adnoam wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

It's in Mohkadun. Iirc the ordained were all decendants of Symachus.

Add to the list La'Mort and family
Possibly even the happenings of Monicruel

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:42 pm 
yurak wrote:
adnoam wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

It's in Mohkadun. Iirc the ordained were all decendants of Symachus.

Close. The ordained were those who either had their soul taken by K'Z'K (and received a piece of his in the process) or were descended from someone who had.

In this strip, Riff's dad explains that Riff is ordained because they are both descended from Symachus: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20140409

Here, Symachus' lineage is cursed with blindness for all time: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20140508

Here, Riff talks about the "genetic" problem with his and his dad's eyes: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20130819

So it's as close to a direct confirmation as Pete could possibly go without stating it outright.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:01 pm 
I'd add who/what is Kusari? And what is the meaning of the infamous juggling panel? http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20010130

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:56 am 
Bunny Suction wrote:
Close. The ordained were those who either had their soul taken by K'Z'K (and received a piece of his in the process) or were descended from someone who had.

In this strip, Riff's dad explains that Riff is ordained because they are both descended from Symachus: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20140409

Here, Symachus' lineage is cursed with blindness for all time: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20140508

Here, Riff talks about the "genetic" problem with his and his dad's eyes: http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20130819

So it's as close to a direct confirmation as Pete could possibly go without stating it outright.

Thanks for the links! I've completely forgotten most of the details of that storyline.

Reading some more in that chapter, I also found this interesting quote:
"This sword came from the never. The hand wielding it operates outside the hands of Fate".

Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:14 am 
So if we look again at open threads:
Resolved:
- Oasis; origin and purpose
- Schlock and Hereticorp; links to Oasis and show down with Torg [almost done?]
- Sasha (maybe? I hope we get more answers at least)..

Still open:
- KZK / poopy pants; does he get stopped or succeed
- Cappy Bo; can he be destroyed [part answer: doesn't work in outer space]
- Uncle Time and the fate pillars
- Bun-Bun; origin and history with santa / the Krig
- The (other) Mokadun God's / holidays
- Torg origin / parents etc...
- La'Mort and family
- Monicruel and Crushestro
- Sam and the war of the Vampire King
- Timeless space; Kada and Callix and their Armada

We seem to be getting close. To my mind Timeless space does not need to be resolved, and I'm not very interested in the Sam storyline.
I've been doing some updating to the Niftypedia summaries (which are some 5 years behind!), but it would be useful to have a broader summary of the current storylines, to see what we know and what we don't know at present.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 pm 
Tusculan wrote:
I've been doing some updating to the Niftypedia summaries (which are some 5 years behind!), but it would be useful to have a broader summary of the current storylines, to see what we know and what we don't know at present.

Great! I tried to do some updating last year until the Great Firewall of China blocked it (I was working in China at the time).

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat