Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:49 pm 
Hello everyone!

I read sluggy back in 2005, but stopped when I went to grad school.

Last August, I found my brother's copy of Fire and Rain, and decided to reread the archives (I started rereading from 2002).
6 months later (and 15 years), here I am!
It was so thrilling to read--I was reading weekly, I just had to click "next"--then suddenly, this morning, I clicked "next" and got "internal server error." I tried again, same thing. Well, it was because I had reached today!
Now I'll have to wait for it to happen before I can find out what happens!
I'm looking forward to discussing with you guys!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Discussion? Do we do that? Hmm.

So, welcome aboard. Internal Server Error may not be everyone's favorite strip, but it's always been somewhat special to me; especially given that completely unexpected revelation about Bun Bun. But I don't think we'll see too much more about that in the current arc; not with Oasis around (she's delicate).

Oh, right. You might get yourself pestered for poetry. A request for an original couplet, ode, saga, limerick, edda, or some such might be seen sooner or later; with vague promises of strange notional gifts if you post one. Sort of like this, actually. Don't worry, those posters don't bite unless you plaster yourself in fresh hollandaise sauce. So don't do that.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:18 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
"Fresh hollandaise sauce"? Ha! They're so desperate for new people/meat they won't care. Though they do tend to be slow moving, so you should be able to hear the gnashing of teeth to get away in time.

Of course, if you give them poetry, I might be able able to give you something to help with this conundrum.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:47 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:

Huh. Usually grad school only FEELS that long.

....Shouldn't you be writing?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:15 am 
Weremensh wrote:

So, welcome aboard. Internal Server Error may not be everyone's favorite strip, but it's always been somewhat special to me; especially given that completely unexpected revelation about Bun Bun. But I don't think we'll see too much more about that in the current arc; not with Oasis around (she's delicate).

Oh, right. You might get yourself pestered for poetry. A request for an original couplet, ode, saga, limerick, edda, or some such might be seen sooner or later; with vague promises of strange notional gifts if you post one. Sort of like this, actually. Don't worry, those posters don't bite unless you plaster yourself in fresh hollandaise sauce. So don't do that.

Ewww, fresh Hollandaise sauce does not sound appetizing whether eaten or plastered on.
An edda might be a bit much, but I could probably manage some senryu or tanka ;)

(senryu are similar to haiku, but about people, and tanka are 5 line poems--ok, I do write poetry).

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:16 am 
Spirantz wrote:
randomlanguage wrote:

Huh. Usually grad school only FEELS that long.

....Shouldn't you be writing?

Alas, I am too busy reading my students' writing to write much. (It's been 9 years since I finished grad school--I do miss it!)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:37 am 
Zillatain wrote:
"Fresh hollandaise sauce"? Ha! They're so desperate for new people/meat they won't care. Though they do tend to be slow moving, so you should be able to hear the gnashing of teeth to get away in time.

Of course, if you give them poetry, I might be able able to give you something to help with this conundrum.

I might not make it too much more lively. I might be a once-a-week poster--I tend to be busy with teaching/prepping/grading during the week. Today is mid-term exams though, and I've made them and printed them, so I have a few minutes to spare before classes start! But hopefully I can involve myself in some discussion :kiki:

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:28 pm 
Weremensh wrote:

Not sure how good it is--I've seldom written something inspired by another artist's work (once, maybe?)--but I thought I'd give it a try since my students are immersed in their exams.
Here it is, poem on the fly:

escaping, trapped in universes
we too
are caught in theirs
every what?! no! moment
a subtle link
another chain

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:39 pm 
randomlanguage wrote:
Zillatain wrote:

I might not make it too much more lively. I might be a once-a-week poster--I tend to be busy with teaching/prepping/grading during the week. Today is mid-term exams though, and I've made them and printed them, so I have a few minutes to spare before classes start! But hopefully I can involve myself in some discussion :kiki:

...I smell an adjunct. lol.

It's funny when you think about it. Punk teenagers who read sluggy grow up into big bad professors. MAAAAN Pete must be getting old these days! mid 40's. I wonder if anyone can hunt down a current picture of him.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:54 pm 
Spirantz wrote:

It's funny when you think about it. Punk teenagers who read sluggy grow up into big bad professors. MAAAAN Pete must be getting old these days! mid 40's. I wonder if anyone can hunt down a current picture of him.

I am one of the lucky few full-time people, but it'll always be 3-9 month contracts, renewals never guaranteed and based on international student numbers (I teach ESL). But I love it!

And isn't Pete an ageless glowing head?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:11 am 
randomlanguage wrote:
Spirantz wrote:

I am one of the lucky few full-time people, but it'll always be 3-9 month contracts, renewals never guaranteed and based on international student numbers (I teach ESL). But I love it!

I'd still consider that adjunct. *shoots and scores!*
Anyway, don't you just hate that Chomsky? Universal Grammar? Language aquisition device? Oh puhhhleaaaase! Get off your armchair, amIright?

There's a ten year old picture of him on Wikipedia. Apparently he takes a human form, rarely!

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:26 pm 
Spirantz wrote:
randomlanguage wrote:
Spirantz wrote:

I'd still consider that adjunct. *shoots and scores!*
Anyway, don't you just hate that Chomsky? Universal Grammar? Language aquisition device? Oh puhhhleaaaase! Get off your armchair, amIright?

There's a ten year old picture of him on Wikipedia. Apparently he takes a human form, rarely!

Ah that Chomsky...he has his fingers everywhere...I like functional linguistics and discourse analysis, but I'm all about methodology (teaching methods) over theory.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:34 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
I see you fell into the trap... Poetry! Now I have to give you a gift. I'll go and see what I can find in this closet of skeletons I have for some reason.

Still here? Oh, good. I found the perfect gift to help with your Pester conundrum: A mote of neutronium from the core of a neutron star attached to a stylish large titanium chain that permanently locks to your ankle. Now you won't have to worry about hearing the gnashing of Pesters' teeth in the distance.

Now as for a picture of Pete. I looked and found a YouTube video of him uploaded back in 2013:

https://youtu.be/75cizw5pCbw

Also it seems to be the most recent I could find of him. The next recent was a picture from 2012. Well, I'm assuming it's from 2012.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:37 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Pete has a corporeal avatar. Live and learn. Anyway...

Ah, poetry. More than good enough for our exalted standards, too. Mind you, that's for certain values of exalted; but still good enough. So please allow me to present you with this slightly used fourth wall breach-o-matic. It might come in useful in case you ever want to make an editorial aside to the audience, or simply need a quick getaway. Use it in good health.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:45 pm 
Zillatain wrote:
I see you fell into the trap... Poetry! Now I have to give you a gift. I'll go and see what I can find in this closet of skeletons I have for some reason.

Still here? Oh, good. I found the perfect gift to help with your Pester conundrum: A mote of neutronium from the core of a neutron star attached to a stylish large titanium chain that permanently locks to your ankle. Now you won't have to worry about hearing the gnashing of Pesters' teeth in the distance.

Now as for a picture of Pete. I looked and found a YouTube video of him uploaded back in 2013:

https://youtu.be/75cizw5pCbw

Also it seems to be the most recent I could find of him. The next recent was a picture from 2012. Well, I'm assuming it's from 2012.

Why thank you for the gift--if it be thanks I should give, and I'm not sure about that. ;)

Board index » Chat Forums » Introductions