Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:07 am 
The craziest thing isn't just that he screwed up the debate, but that he doubled down afterwards. He's blaming his microphone and the moderator for his performance. He also walked right into Clinton's trap. She'd been planning a "Trump called Miss Universe fat" attack campaign for a while and it's rolling out as we type. His first instinct is to defend himself saying "BUT SHE WAS FAT!"

But the thing is, I don't know how much difference it's going to make. Trump plunged in the polls after he attacked the Khans. That's pretty much as obnoxious as a presidential candidate can ever get. He recovered anyway, mostly because younger voters abandoned Clinton for third party candidates. And all Trump has to do to get wavering Republicans to go back to him is apparently make some halfhearted attempts at sounding not-racist and not saying anything horrible for a few weeks.

And all Clinton has to do to sink is make some minor mistakes and get some negative publicity for a couple of weeks.

The odds are still narrowly in Clinton's favour, but if Trump doesn't top himself and go batpoop insane right before election night, he could still have a real chance of winning.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:55 am 
The media needs the ratings of a horse race but it may not be that close in reality. As of a few days ago Trump was decidedly trailing 2012 Romney.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:11 am 
That is true, he does perform worse with almost every demographic group imaginable than Romney. But third party candidates are playing a much bigger role in this election, and if they sap more voters from Clinton than from Trump, there is a chance that Gary Johnson and Jill Stein could throw the race. It's most likely not going to happen but the possibility still makes me nervous. Clinton's doing very poorly among young voters compared to Obama.

Clinton lost her lead in the last few weeks because liberals thought that she's obviously safe, so they might as well vote third party. I hope that's not what they're thinking when it's time to cast their ballots.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:56 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Don't forget the clueless younglings who are looking to protest vote and have never heard of Nader. Still, it looks like the debate, and the post-debate meltdown, has driven a lot of apolitical hispanics to register to vote (big spike in google searches about how to in the right neighborhoods).

In passing, it looks like Trump may just need to get elected to stay out of prison. Quite aside from the troubles he may get in because of the bribes and political spending of his charity, it turns out that his charity isn't one. Officially it's based in New York, and the state attorney general discovered that it doesn't have the required state registration needed to be a charity above a certain size (25 grand a year). It'll be very pretty if the well to do folks that gave to him ever deducted the money on their taxes, or if the take was declared to the IRS and the NY tax agency as charitable earnings and not ordinary income/gifts. The latter will be real fun because the same NY AG was the target of $100K of that money given to a political opponent when he wouldn't take a bribe to drop the Trump U investigation, and his office would handle the prosecution.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:26 am 
Presidential candidate feuds with beauty queen. Classy.

I hope Clinton's campaign warned Alicia Machado about the blowback she would face. I expect she's getting a huge amount of hate mail and death threats from alt-right/Gamergater/MRA/8-chan troglodytes right now.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:00 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I'm sure she's long since aware of who and what supports Trump. For her own various reasons, she apparently thinks it's worth it.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:47 pm 
The woman appears to be unshameable by virtue of being essentially shameless. I hope she's locked down her personal data well in advance though.

And this morning, I read that Trump accidentally insulted veterans with PTSD. Hey, remember when we used to think George Bush was inarticulate and Sarah Palin was the epitome of crass and stupid?

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:38 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Shell shock = weakness. It worked so well for Patton, why wouldn't Trump try it? All he needs to do is slap some poor sap a few times and insult him a bit. Piece of cake.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:54 pm 
And that was Trump trying to be sympathetic. That's how big of a dip*@# he is.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:52 am 
Kea wrote:
Clinton lost her lead in the last few weeks because liberals thought that she's obviously safe, so they might as well vote third party. I hope that's not what they're thinking when it's time to cast their ballots.

Given what I've heard about the American electoral process and the two major parties, I must say I'm rather hoping that one of the third-party candidates gets in.

(I don't have any particular preferences regarding which one, mainly because I know nothing about them).

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:08 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Long story short, neither one is ready for prime time. At this point the only one of the four detectable candidates who would not surprise everyone if they did an acceptable or better job as president would be Clinton. Not, mind you, that about 30% of the population wouldn't be hell bent on denying it if it happened; but they'd be disappointed, not surprised.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:23 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
CCC wrote:
(I don't have any particular preferences regarding which one, mainly because I know nothing about them).
Gary Johnson. Libertarian Party (Far left wing Conservative). Former 1-term governor of the state of Arizona. Libertarians are Ann Rand's wet dream. They believe in no government "interference" in anything. He's anti-NATO, anti-Trans pacific partnership, Anti-Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), and believes in the privatization of essential services such as water, garbage collection, and snow removal. Recent gaffes include not knowing WHAT Aleppo is, nevermind where it is, and not being able to name one foreign leader when asked in a live event on MSNBC.

And Jill Stein M.D. Green Party (Far left wing Liberal). Two term town council member of Lexington Massachusetts. Greens are, as you expect, the environmental party in the USA. She is anti-Fracking, anti-Wall Street, Anti-Nuclear Power, and anti-Military interventionism. The only thing she has going for her is that she wants to incentivize solar, wind, hydro, and tidal energy development. She's an Anti-Vaxxer who believes that vaccines cause autism. Recent gaffes include having a warrant issued for her arrest for vandalism during the Sioux American Indian protest of a new pipeline.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:50 am 
...alright, I admit, I expected basic competency from your third-party candidates.

There's only two of them? I get the impression that you might have got to the point where so few people think that the third-party candidates have any chance, that the more competent ones decide they have better things to do than even try...

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:08 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
The American "Third" parties have always tried to skip the line. They have no base of support in the lower levels of government.

For instance there are only 135 elected libertarians at ANY level of government nationwide, none higher than town level and only 36 of them were in contested elections. For size comparison, there are 435 members of the house of Representatives ALONE.

The highest level office ever that a libertarian has been elected to was a Montana supreme court clerk position in 2012. Meanwhile no nominee of the Green Party has been elected to office in the federal government.

If third parties ever, by a long shot, won a presidential election they would have no party establishment backing and no support from congress. They would be essentially lame ducks who would cause deadlock in government. Does anyone really think Gary Johnson's idea to abolish welfare and social security would get any support from Democrats? Does anyone think that Jill Stein's idea to completely abolish Big Oil will get ANY support from Republicans?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:01 am 
And now, a groping scandal. Anyone who paid attention already knew that there were a lot of stories about Trump being a creepy pervert, but it still makes a difference for him to virtually confess to sexual assault on tape. The US is sounding more like a banana republic every day. But you know what? We're probably lucky that if the Republicans had to nominate a bigoted demagogue, they picked such a trainwreck of one.

Clinton is lucky that her bank speeches leaked on the same day as the Trump perv tape. The content is classic Clinton. Equivocating, carefully worded hedges. Stuff that sounds bad without actually being evidence of corruption. But compared to grabbing women's genitals, who cares?

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts