Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: 44
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:56 am 
I don't think I did. I'll have a look at it later.

Zuma's got Trump beaten in wives (he's been married six time and is still married to four of them, last I knew of, and, as Nanny Ogg once said, that's only the official score - which is a turn of phrase that's a lot funnier when applied to a fictional character), but they certainly sound like they're cut from the same cloth. The major difference, as far as I can see, is that Zuma got a few under-the-table deals from the corporate billionaires, while Trump is already a corporate billionaire who is saving bribery expenses by cutting out the middleman.

And looking back on Zuma's presidency... America's in for a rough time. But I expect the country as a whole to survive it and end up in a position from which recovery is possible.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:34 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Kea wrote:
The emoluments clause is the anti-bribery bit of the Constitution that says that a sitting president may not receive gifts from foreign countries without Congress's permission. Trump's business empire makes him a walking bribery magnet.

Not just gifts, but even fair payments for services rendered.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:43 pm 
That makes a lot of sense in an anti-bribery law, really. It's far too easy to turn "fair payment for services rendered" into a lot of money for very little actual effort. (Like... a speaking fee for a private function, say. Only then the function is cancelled, but, oh dear, the speaking fee was non-refundable, oh, and thank you for signing that bill into law...)

A sitting President should get enough money from the State that he has no need for bribes. (Some people will always want more money, and unfortunately, that means bribery is always a possibility for some other people...)

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts